Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to abe914
dellorto carbs

Have a chance to purchase a pair of 36mm downdraft dellorto carbs at a really good price. Has anyone used these carb? or have a pair installed? or they just too small?
is there a better set-up (car wise)?
Looking to get to about 120 to 130HP.
Please no FI thing, these would be going into kit car, my '75 1.8 had the original FI.
Thanks in advance.
Houston in Louisiana
Old 12-05-1999, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
A couple of things to consider.

1. Are they already on a 914 or van motor if not you will need different manifolds.

2. Something I learned on the 36's I had on my Beetle and the 40's I have on my 1.9L 914. Find someone who can jet them properly and adjust them properly. Not just some guy who thinks a carb is a carb. I've found that what works for a Weber doesn't always work for a Dell.

If you are putting them on a 1.7 they should be just enough( not for 120-130 HP) but they will work. If you can find 36mm intakes for a type-4. I've got a big bore kit on a 1.7 (1.95L) 10 to 1 compression, mild/medium cam. This is a motor that the builder used in his race buggy and he tells me its good for 120hp with 40mm Dells.

If its a really good deal maybe you should get them and try to make a bit of money on the deal by selling or trading them for a set of 40's or 42's

Anything over 2.2L you will need 45's

There is more but I can't think of it right now,I'm sure others will fill-in.

Old 12-05-1999, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well I can definately say you'll never get 120-130 Hp out of a 1.7 with 36mm carbs. I have a 2.0 w/the 2.4 big bore kit, about 10.5:1 compression with 44mm webers and just sqeezing over 150 HP with it. Its probably undercarbed... The carb setup is the most crucial and it needs to be done ON A DYNO. If your in the Calif bay area, there is a guy that is really good at it. He increased my HP substantially by just dialing it in with jets, the venturi tubes, and other tricks (of his trade he woudlnt elaborate on)guess thats why Im paying him....

Go BIGGER!
Old 12-06-1999, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have been tweeking my Dells for pretty near 9 years now. One piece of advice is to read the book on Dellortos that Red Line performance used to sell (you might find it at CB Performance). Read it many times and take lots of notes. You must first understand the relationship of the size of the venturis to max RPM and displacement. Start there, then begin jetting. You will never get the revs and HP without first getting the right maximum air flow for your
engine. Plan on spending lots on jets and
having a set of jet drills or reamers. Good luck.
Old 12-06-1999, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The last comment on RPMs is right on. Choice of main jets definitely depends on how high on the RPMs you want to go.
The last comment on spending money on various size jets and a jet reaming tool is also right on the mark. The stock jettings are a best guess but will not necessarily suit your particular engine application.
I have dual 45 Dells on a low compression 2.2L and finding proper jetting took time, and I did end up reaming a (60 I believe it was) idle out to, I would guess 70, as the next available step up was an 80, which was too rich for my application, and the 60 was too lean, causing backfiring.
I also don't believe you will have the fuel supply to hit the horsepower mark you are shooting for with the 36s. The Dell tech book was absolutely essential to understanding these things, but once I finally got them fully dialed in I was very happy and I've had no problems since, and my spark plugs have a better tan than I do.
CB Perf was the only supplier I found for Dell parts, and as for advice on these, when I checked in town I got the blank stare, and "You mean there's a carb out there that doesn't say Weber on it?".
--john
Old 12-06-1999, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: