Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Over Heating?

Hello:

I have a 1974 914 2 liter with a single weber carb. I aquired it a couple of months ago. 2 weeks ago I did a tune up--plugs, rotor, cap, points, condenser and new ignition wires. It ran like a porsche should when I finished. Timing is at 34 degrees BTDC at 3200 rpm

I live in Chicago and a week ago it got really hot--mid nineties and humid. Since it's been hot the car runs rough and seems to really lack power--especially when acelerating fast under a load or from a stop.

Any suggestions? It seems to be related to it being so hot--I can't find anything else different.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

Richard
Old 08-27-2003, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Back off to 30-32,
Old 08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't know if it will help with the heat, but you should consider giving the single-carb setup the "float test". Throw it into the Lake, and if it floats retrieve it for further study.

Duals may be a little more fussy, but they are the only way to go on the VW Type IV/Porsche 914 motor.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-28-2003, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You might check the distributor cap and plug wires to see if there is moisture inside the cap or inside the boots that is making a misfire. Try running the car at night with no lights around to see if there is any arching or voltage leaks. Good luck
Old 08-28-2003, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm going to go with Dave on this one. The carb probably has a lot to do with it running hot, especially if it's not jetted properly.

Single carb setups on pancake motors are notorious for running lean at high rpm and too rich at low rpm. It's a function of the huge intake runners and fuel not staying properly suspended.

Not only will you pick up some extra power with a second carb, but it'll be much easier to tune properly and should actually improve fuel economy and lower temps (believe it or not!).

In addition, your timing may be just a tad high. Does it ping at all? You may need to back it down just a shade. What distributor are you running?

Later,

G
Old 08-28-2003, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After about five single carbs, I finally went with dual webbers. Best choice I ever made. The heat always seemed to affect my carbration performance. Floats always stuck and idle always fluctuated. It is hot most of the year where I live. It was always a constant adjustment hassle. I Have had virtually no problems with the duals, and seems like my adjustments stay where I put them!

Also try running Premium gasoline. That seemed to make the single carb run smoother for a while, and also helped to burn the moisture from the humidity. Ok, not acutally sure on that....sounded good though.

Last edited by Toast; 08-28-2003 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-28-2003, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: