Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel line replacement - UPDATE

Guys:
Tonight I ran the 5/16" steel lines (from Summit) through the tranny tunnel. They went in pretty easy, but getting them throught the front grommet was a *****.
So, now I have about 2 feet of steel line coming out of the rear firewall. How do it get to the engine compartment?
I don't think I can/should try to bend the steel lines up into the engine compartment, although I'd like too, I think I'd kink the lines. This stuff is flexible, but not THAT flexible. What have you guys that used steel lines done?
I've heard mention of using flexible line to make the right turn and up through to the engine compartment. What kind should I use? Where can get it? I thought about re-using a section of the plastic line that I took out of the tunnel, but how would I connect it to the steel line, since they're both the same size? A small connecting 8mm hose with a clamp at each end? I'd be concerned about putting a clamp on the plastic line, but maybe it'd be OK.
Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated!!
Thanks,
Andy...
Old 08-28-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Andy, why not get a decent tubing bender? Just be careful and bend it gradually keeping it tight inside the groove in the bender. You should be able to direct it right up to where you want it. The fewer the fittings in the line the better. Use some rubber-lined clamps to secure the tubing to the chassis so it's not moving around too. I think I'd use rubber fuel line to go the rest of the way, put some flare on the end of the tube and use good quality hose clamps.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Andy,

This is what I've done in the past:

Cut the steel line off to length as desired. Flare the end (to act as a barb). Use proper-rated Fuel Injection gas hose from the line to the fuel-rail. Double clamp it if your worried.

brant
Old 08-29-2003, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys!
Even with a bender, I'm not sure I could put all the bends in to get it thru the grommets. My engine is still in the car. I might try it tonight.
So, rubber rated FI line from the steel lines (just outside of the firewall) through the grommets and into the engine compartment? The hole in the grommets are smaller than the 8mm rubber hose, but it will fit thru?
IOW, the rubber hose would be near the HEs and would come up thru the grommets to the rails?
What do you think about using the plastic stuff I took out of the tunnel to run from the steel to the rails? I would double clamp it and it would fit better thru the grommets.
Thanks again!
Andy...
Old 08-29-2003, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
That would be OK. Or you could emulate the stock setup, and go "hard lines" to the corner of the engine bay, then rubber in the corner, then "hard lines" again up through the engine tin, then rubber to fhe fuel rail.

If you don't want to make the bend at the firewall, then you could run rubber to the engine tin and metal through it, then rubber to the fuel rail.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-29-2003, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: