Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trouble w/ timing for rebuild

I am having trouble with my recent rebuild and I think it's timing. I have a 2056cc with 50 miles on it, dual Webers and an 050 dizzy. When I set the timing to 32 deg at 3200 RPM, the engine likes to idle at around 2000 and is very slow to drop in revs when the pedal is released. The butterflies are closing all the way. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Ben
Old 08-29-2003, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe I'm techno-stupid to do it this way, but I've always timed my 2.0 webcam and 40 idf, .050 dizzy by the tach. If my carbs are well balanced, I can run down as low as 800 rpm. I usually keep it at 1050. The way a weber works, if the vacuum is there it will draw equivilant fuel volume through the "idle/ low-speed" ports. At about 1200 rpm, I experience the slow return to idle you describe, and if I continue to increase timing, it will start inreasing the revs as the vac builds even if I leave the dizzy alone (in it's too high position). Try doin it by ear/tach and see how the car behaves. I really think the 32degree spec is for FI cars, isn't it?
-scott

My gallery page
Old 08-29-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ben I am running dual weber 44's and 30deg of advance.

I had a similar problem and solved it by adding really light return springs to each carb. Mine will idle below 900 but I it is a lot smoother around 1050-1100 rpm with my cam. Unfortunately it makes my loud pedal a bit stiffer.

Make sure those throttle bodies are both closing completely.

You guys all have a good weekend!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: