Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bad valve lifters

Hi,
I had Fat Performance build a 2.2 for me recently. They had it on the dyno for about 15 minutes and I drove it a total of about 20 miles. Took it up to have carbs tuned and valves adjusted,(they were making a little noise). They called me back and said the valve lifters were bad and had damaged the cam! Any one else had this problem. It seems more than on engine has had this happen here on the west coast. It seems like a whole bunch of bad lifters being sold. Now they gotta tear the whole thing apart and start over. What's going on. anyone else experience this? Jake?
Cheers, Elliot
Old 08-29-2003, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Anyone?

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 08-29-2003, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Try Shop Talk Forums
Old 08-29-2003, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Elliot,

A couple of things. I always pull two twenty (20) minute break in runs, no less than 2k rpm with a new cam and lifters...with a cool down and oil change/ valve adjust check between the two before loading the engine!!!!!This is sort of a standard in the aircooled builders bible...

15 minutes on the dyno? I question....You may have good parts...just poor break in procedures...Did the engine idle at anytime during that time or when you where driving it? In the short time of operation this is a bad thing and can knock the lift off a cam in a hurry!

Lifters I know...I was forced to swap out a bad lifter( see archived posts) with a used lifter...which after 6000 miles is still ok..part of the success was due in part to handling the lifter as a new installing. Assembly break in lube and two 20 min breaki n runs, no less than 2000 rpm...before any Idle time...

Scott

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 08-31-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There is a lenthy thread about this subject on the 914club.com BBS might get some info there on this subject.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There have been ALOT of bad cams lately...I source my lifters from a place that noone else does, and have not had a failure yet....We do some extensive break in on our engines that makes the risks even lower.

A dyno session is normally 4-6 hours.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 08-31-2003, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: