Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cool Weltmeister Oil Trap

Hi All,
Anybody have any experience with this modification?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-01-2003, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Yeah, works great for AXing.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 09-01-2003, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On some engines the unit will not seal and will leak oil.

Do not over tighten to get it to seal as you can damage the center CAM support.

They work well if you have a moderate problem, but not so well if the car is going to be used at high speed on race tracks with large sweeping turns.

I could not get mine to seal on 2 different motors.

Ken
Old 09-01-2003, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
So they drip alittle oil, whats new.
Cheap insurance, but DO NOT over tighen.

Paul

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 09-01-2003, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks All, I suppose I just needed some feed back. I "attempted" to install this lil' gem - only to find that the "extended tube" supplied with the oil trap kit - was too long to allow the "oil trap" to seat against the gasket. (This is a '73-914, 2.0-4.) As I was following the directions... it said "Lightly grease O-ring in extended tube. Once started, push up with the Oil Trap itself so extended tube is at the proper depth. Not a problem, See Diagram" #1. See Diagram" #1? For what? There's not one dimension given - Yeah, I'm not Arnold -gonna be governor- but I gave it my best - this has gotta work push & twist. The Oil Trap bottoms out on the "extend tube" prior to seating against the gasket. Tried again to install the "oil trap" Same results. The diagram sucks. no way could I determine how to set the "extended tube" at the "proper depth". But if you notice that the "extended tube" has "flutes", it would seem that by design, the "extended tube" picks up oil from all four sides of the tube, thereby enabling the oil pump to have unrestricted flow of oil. Anyway... I took a few rough measurements, cut .300" of the "extended tube length " (oil pick-up end), & cut the "flutes" .300" deeper to compensate for the trim in overall length. De-burred & installed the bit*h, errr ahhhh- 'lil gem. All's well. But why??? Why shouldn't the kit fit without modification? Thanks, Gary
Old 09-01-2003, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Mine slid in with no problems..........

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 09-01-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

many people had to shorten the tube to have it mount properly
Old 09-01-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, That's a bit of a relief... I felt like I was doing the right thing when I trimmed the length off the "extended tube" to compensate for the distance to the oil trap seating properly against the gasket with less than the required 9ft lbs. Although I still feel a little uneasy about the oil being able to flow past the "bolt" "& "extended tube" outside/inside (respective) diameters when installed. It looks like the extended tube i.d. could be opened up a bit to promote flow. Anybody ever modify for flow???
Thanks Again, Gary
Old 09-01-2003, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My car is driven hard on the street and autocrossed. It hasn't yet been on the track. When I originally rebuilt my 2.0, I added a beefed-up oil pump and a deep sump. It seemed to work well, and I didn't see the oil light come on once. However, it did feel and sound like the engine was low on oil during hard cornering. I then decided to try the Weltmeister oil trap because I lowered the car and the deep sump was vulnerable to damage. At my first autocross with this set up, the oil light came on after my first couple of runs. I decided not to run the rest of the day. Keep in mind that my car is somewhat modified, with shocks, springs, swaybars, and Kumho victoracers. If you are not pulling as much g-force you may not have a problem with the "tuna can". I now have an Accusump in my rear trunk. I believe this is the only truly effective setup for even a street car that is set up to handle and be driven. For those who aren't familiar with the accusump, it is essentially a cylinder with a piston that holds oil and dumps it into the engine when the oil pressure drops below a certain amount. Since installing the accusump, I've had no problems with low oil pressure.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Gary,

I had heard there was a "bad batch" of these, and that now they were all the correct length...

However, I tried to install one on Saturday and found it to be too long also.

brant
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 09-02-2003, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks! WOW... This b-board rocks! Great feedback! I'm gonna remove the oil trap & extended tube to dimensionally check clearance between the oil trap retaining "bolt" o.d. & the "extended tube" i.d. - Then I'm gonna check the clearance between the i.d. of the engines oil pickup & the o.d. of the threaded (mounting) stud. If the clearance isn't the same or greater respectively, I'm gonna hone the inside of the "extended tube" until I've achieved the require dimension, or have to stop due to reduced wall thickness of the extended tube becoming a concern. If I could re-design this 'lil gem I would form the extended tube shape into more of a (fluted) cone shape. Thereby eliminating the oil pickup concern. Any other thoughts, solutions, snide comments?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-02-2003, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Remember, the OD of the extender tube is larger than the OD of the original tube. So you don't need as large a gap between the inner wall of the extender and the outside of the bolt to get the same cross-sectional area as you have with the original!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-03-2003, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave,
But the o.d. of the tube is not my concern. My concern is the clearance between the "i.d." of the extended tube & the o.d. of the bolt that installs right up the center of the extended tube to attach to the engines mounting stud. If you were to fit the pieces together on a bench/coffee table, align to center & check for clearance, you just might be surprized to see that - visually the clearance appears to be marginal at best. When I was playing (o.k. "dry" assy) with the kit when I first opened the box I noticed that the clearance between the two pieces was pretty close. Unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to grab feeler guages or mock-up a fixture to "really" know what the clearances will be upon installation. There's a good lesson for ya!!! Slow down. Pay attention to details.
Bummer. My inspection of purchased parts will be - from now on - a little more complete than comparing the contents of the box to the packing list. Anyway, after I remove this 'lil gem & do what needs to be done, I'll post the results for all to see. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong & I'm just over thinking this mod. - But I don't think so... I just don't want to lose an engine due to a "tuna can"!!! What would I tell my wife???
G
Old 09-03-2003, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: