Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1.7 idles for 10 minutes then dies out

Our project '71 1.7 914 has a bit of a problem that has stumped us here at the magazine.

The 1.7 will start up after a few tries and runs well for about 10 minutes. Then dies. It will start up immediately after it stalls out, but will only idle for about 15 seconds before dieing out.

We have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, coil, added Royal Purple oil (small plug for them...), temp sensor (the one located at #3 injector), and adjusted the valves. After the valve adjustment, it does run with more power.

We did have the fuel pump stop working on us, it was the relay; thus replaced it. We have a fuel pump relocation kit coming from Auto Atlanta (official sponsor of the 914 project for the magazine) this week. This should be our next 914 DIY story for November's issue.

Any ideas on what would be causing this problem?

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
Old 09-01-2003, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you try replacing the fuel filter? Put a gauge on the pressure tap on the injector rail and observe it as the car runs. It if slowly drops, suspect a restriction (filter, plugged line). I think it should be about 30psi at idle. If it drops suddenly, then the pump if probably dropping off-line. If it's steady but then the car quits, start looking elsewhere.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What he said.

Furthermore, if you want to understand what is going on with the fuel injection system, I strongly suggest reading through http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders . Brad Anders has collected just about everything that is known about D-jetronic FI. Reading through his site will tell you what is going on when things work correctly, and will tell you how to troubleshoot the individual parts of the system when things aren't working correctly.

--DD

PS: It's not the politest thing in the world to plug one company on the BBS run by a competing company... And I would seriously consider running a new wire in the center tunnel rather than drilling holes and using the cheap-o four-conductor telephone cord that was in AA's kit last time I saw one.

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
What answer did you get from the AA message board?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Will check on the fuel pressure this week, thanks.

My bad for the mentioning of a competitor on the BBS, but Pelican already sponsors several other projects for the magazine/this car. (thanks Wayen and Tom)

Dave, tell me more about AA's kit... and you know I'm having a heck of a time posting the same question on their site!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
All I really know about it is what I have read in an old "european car" magazine "tech article" (read, "fawning over one of our advertisers products") and the way the pump was relocated in my old 1.8. It looked to be the same kit. Cheesy silver four-conductor telephone cord, with holes drilled in the firewall and the front bulkhead to accomodate it... Not my idea of a very clean installation.

That was the only real gripe I had about it. The "adaptor hose" going from 9mm to 7mm (or was it going the other way?) is expensive, but not bad in and of itself.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-02-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: