Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-4 front coil over suspension

Does anyone know of a front coilover suspension that would replace the torsion bars for stock 914-4 (stock meaning 4 lug not five.) I have seen a setup at a website called http://www.all914.com but I dont know if it is for 4 lug. I have seen it on race 914's w/5-lugs but nothing else. this doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do as it would just be like a direct replacement of the front struts.
Thanks

-Brent
Old 12-08-1999, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm curious about why. Is there an improvement using coils over the torsion bar? Seems like you would have greater unsprung weight. I don't mean to be critical, I'm just wondering what advantage this is.
Old 12-08-1999, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I mentioned the coilovers because I thought there was a possibility of improved suspension up front, but I am not sure, that is one reason I posted this topic so I could find out if anyone knew if there was even an advantage to be had. I just gathered that it might be an improvement since I have seen some on race 914's. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

-Thanks
Old 12-08-1999, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I was told that the spring does not affect the unsprung weight.
4 or 5 bolt, it does not matter.
Paragon (sp?) sells conversion parts as well for converting to the coil-overs.
One advantage to the coil-overs is the choice of spring rates and the choice of progressive or linear rate springs.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 12-08-1999, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
I wrote Brad (owner of ALL914.com) about the coil-over questions earlier this evening. I'm curious myself as to the performance of those RSR struts and coil-over. He's been swamped with e-mails lately, but promised me he'd make it around to pelican to answer the questions. if you want, you can reach him at brad@all914.com.. i had the chance to meet him at the pomona swap meet this past weekend, very amiable guy..
Old 12-08-1999, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I can have these made for 4 lug, but I have not seen a need for them. Mike M. is correct about the different spring rates available for the coil overs. This is the main reason. You can only run up to a certian size torsion bar in the factory front control arms. To step up you have to go coil over.
I help read data gathered from a very fast SCCA EProd 914. We ended up going to a VERY large sway bar. It was easier and cheaper than converting the struts and starting over with our chassis setups. I know I kinda cutoff a potential sale, but I dont want to mislead you. Thanks Brad
Old 12-08-1999, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: