Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pics of the new VW "Concept R"

Heres the actual concept that goes with the drawings we had a look at earlier this summer:

Nifty!
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 09-02-2003, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Seems to be more than a little Carrera GT in that concept. Wonder how Porsche will react?
Old 09-02-2003, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks like they have made a few changes if that is the same one that was in the magazine. The roll bar is gone and the rear of the seats are arched now. I like it and it's about time VW came through with a midengine convertible. I'd buy one. Hoepfully the price will be under $25k.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I feel sure that a production version would lose the chrome interior and the big engine - the 150HP, 55mpg FSI engine mentioned earlier is much more sellable IMHO.

The most intriguing thing for me as a 914 owner is the idea that the seats do not move, the instrumant cluster and the pedals do.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Too much 'R' as it stands currently...spose it comes with a big R sticker too?

I miss the integral targa bar...now that would be sexy. Kind of a miniature Viper....
Old 09-02-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
They've also thickened it and made it look fatter. Don't like it as much as the drawings. (But then I think pretty much all cars today look too da** fat--and are, for that matter!)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-03-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Tonyakavw Send a message via AIM to Tonyakavw
I agree that its too fat. It lokos a lot like that ugly Lexus convertible. What is it these days with having the back end of every car sit so high up?

-Tony AKAVW
Old 09-03-2003, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Agreed.....Fat as opposed to Phat.
I would like a lower profile more like the first illustrations.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
It's built on a Golf V platform I believe. That might have a part in dictating the dimensions of the car.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I hope they build it and I'd love to own one except for one thing - I want a 6 speed manual transmission. I don't want anything that is even remotely related to an automatic transmission. If I were in the market for a Boxster I'd be passing on the Tiptronic no matter how great Porsche says it is.

I am Mike Müller's evil twin
Old 09-03-2003, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
Sue and I were just asking the same question: "Why do all new cars have such fat butts?" must be all the carbs....but its fuel injected
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Please someone tell me that Porsche designed this car for VW.
If they didn't they are in trouble.

If VW decides to build this car with that engine and if they continue down that path, they could really hurt Porsche.
That car would kill boxster sales.
VW is starting to show that they want to build cars that perform as well or better that Porsche for less money.
All they need to do is remain focused on fit/finish and quality of details and they will be there. Scary.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The problem is that VW is competing with BMW and Mercedes (among many others), who have in recent years persued the lower cost segment, cutting into VW sales. VW knows that to continue to be a successful car maker, they need to also serve all ends of the price spectrum. This is why they now have the Toureg (lower end Cayenne) and Phaeton. So far these high end cars are getting raves. I own a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S, and the quality of construction and materials completely blow away my 98 GTI; their construction efforts are really, really good.

But you know, in the end, it's not a....Porsche. That's fine with me; I consider my 914 to be more of a high end VW sports car anyways. But the marque has a value, and it will hopefully remain a maker of really good, really expensive cars for a long time to come. Once they put out a sub 30k car the brand value is lost.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
It looks nice, like all the new cars. That chrome dash will go over like a fart in church when the sun hits it on your way home in traffic. You will be blinded and crash into the cars around you. I wonder who's "bright" idea that was?

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-04-2003, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
ya I"m not a big fan of it either.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 09-04-2003, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: