Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rear end clunk

i have just purchased a 914 and i have a clunk in the right rear of the car when i accelerate or deaccelerate in first gear. i checked rear shocks, engine and transmission mounts . any help in solving this problem would be most appreciated
Old 09-02-2003, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Gotta be the mounts. Does the gear shift knob move at all also??

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 09-02-2003, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

gear shift lever seems to be solid ,i will double check mounts . thanks for the information
Old 09-03-2003, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Maybe I'm way off base but...could it be a CV joint?
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I AM STARTING TO LEAN IN THAT DIRECTION . THERE IS A LOT MORE HORIZONTAL PLAY IN RIGHT AXLE THAN IN LEFT AXLE. WHAT ALSO HAS ME CONCERNED IS THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL APPEARS TO SIT FURTHER OUT IN WHEEL WELL THAN LEFT. I AM ASSUMING THAT THIS IS NOT NORMAL
Old 09-03-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Now it sounds like a wheel bearing. Jack up the car and see how much play when you try to move the wheel 12 to 6. Should be none.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 09-03-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's not unusual for there to be some mis-match of how the wheels fit in the rear fenders. Pretty common, in fact. But it generally isn't a whole ton of difference, maybe a half inch?

Grab the wheels and wiggle as Geoff suggested. Also try to move the whole trailing arm! Check the CVs. Check to make sure that there isn't anything loose in the trunk. (Don't ask how I know that one.) Check the muffler bracket and its attachments, particularly on the tranny end. Check the rubber engine mounts in the middle of the motor mount bar. (Assumes a 73+ or sideshifter conversion.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Dave:
I had this same problem bothering me for a long time. Finally figured out it was an alignment issue. My right rear wheel was too close to the tranny and thus the CV axle would clunk on something when I accelerated in first /second. Also noticed that it was easier to replicate when turning right at the same time. (like in a parkade or out of a prking lot onto the street) The CV axle must hit the stub axle or something in the wheel assy. I could replicate the noise by getting under the car, grabbing the axle and pushing it towards the wheel. Clunk! So, I pulled the wheel out a little bit by loosening the outside suspension mounting bolts. Clunk is gone. You can also look up the shock tower from underneath and in my case it was clear that my right shock was closer to the inside of the car than the left side. I have not had a proper alignment done but my homemade "eyeball it" changes at least got rid of the clunk. I also stuck a shim in the outside mounting point to adjust the camber.

Al
Old 09-03-2003, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You probably should have the alignment checked--at least the rear toe angle!!

--DD

Old 09-03-2003, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

well I have tried everthing including adjusting rear track. I am going to stop for a day or two to regain my sanity. I will then start from scratch because I am obviously missing something. Thanks to everyone for your input and ideas.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
are teh trailing arm bushings OK?
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 09-04-2003, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Check the swing arm nuts. They've beeen known to come loose.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
My 914 did the same thing and it turned out to be the outside trailing arm bolt.
It has to be torqued to 108 lbs.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

stupid is as stupid does. i missed the most obvious possibility, loose wheel nuts. tighten bolts problem solved.thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Now get the alignment checked. "Adjusting the rear track" is actually changing the rear toe angle--a lot!! Toe-out in the rear has been described as "pure evil". The car will want to go sideways on occasion with zero provocation. You want to make sure you've got a little bit of toe-in, and that it's the same on both sides.

--DD

Old 09-08-2003, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: