Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ajustable Rear Springs

Can anyone give me some more info on the "coil over" suspension for the rear of the 914, so I can set the ride height from 4x4 or all the way to the ground. Does only Koni make it like the picture? Or is it something you can also fit on the Boge and Bilstein shocks. TIA.
03' Mini Cooper S
03' Volkswagen Passat GLX B5.5 4-Motion

Benjamin Miles Keaton (ben, lj) - RIP June 2nd, 2005
Old 09-03-2003, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a setup like that on my race car but the shocks are Koni yellow sport shocks (little stiffer). As far as I know that is about the only off the shelf setup although there are several race shops that sell other brands and they tend to be more expensive. When we put the set on my 914 we set the spring perches in the middle and marked them and the nut with a dab of white paint. Then while the car was level we adjusted the rear height down so it was what we wanted. Unfortunately these setups are not cheap!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have adjustable perches on Bilsteins. I bought the setup from Paragon. Remember that as you adjust the height your also changing the corner balance of the car. We adjust the height on scales with me in the driver seat and leave it optimized for equal weight distribution.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I have a similar setup that I got from Coleman Racing Products, along with Hypercoil springs. Actually I haven't installed them yet, though...gotta to that soon. I'm running Bilstein's.

The key advantage is much finer adjustability than the stock style "stepped" perches. Also most of these setups use a 2.5"x10" coil so you have an almost unlimited selection of springs available; whereas normal 914 stock-type springs only come in a handful of rates (I think).
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 09-04-2003, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have this set up on my Koni Yellows also. Im a bit pissed , because I have the adjustable perch basically bottomed out. Others I know have a older det up and theirs is in the middle.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Chris,

I would also like to go with adjustable perches and have been wondering how to get there without trial and error. Your problem was touched on in the Club914 forum where Brad pointed out to someone that they would need an 8" instead of a 10" spring to work on Koni Reds (which I have). I know you have Yellows, but I assume the principle is the same.

Do you recall the length of your springs? What is the spring rate? How is the ride? Do you need a spring compressor to install them?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisreale
I have this set up on my Koni Yellows also. Im a bit pissed , because I have the adjustable perch basically bottomed out. Others I know have a older det up and theirs is in the middle.
Me too, because I'm using stock length springs. The short springs (10" BTW) are not available in the ranges that I would prefer. You really have to go with the smaller diameter springs and perches to get the best setup. It comes as a package with the shocks. I'll be using Koni Sports from Paragon. I don't think Pelican has these, at least they didn't when I asked. It's OK, I buy enough from Pelican. (Almost everything)
Old 09-05-2003, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Not sure about the length. They are 200# and the ride is hard! But this is for AX, and comfort on the street has been sacrificed. In the last pic, it looks like mine are indeed ten inches long. I did not need a compressor.
Here is a thread on my install
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=3926&

Last edited by chrisreale; 09-05-2003 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-05-2003, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Chris; from the pic it looks to me like your Hypercoils are 12" springs. It should have said on the cardboard cylinder they came in.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Of course, ya tell me two days after I junk the carboard cylinders! Either way, with the 22mm torsion bars, 200# springs, 22mm saw on mid, it is not that comfy on the streets, but it is very neutral handeling. A proper alignment and corner balance will make it stick even more
Old 09-05-2003, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: