Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 to 911 Front Suspension

I am converting to five bolt front end

I purchased a complete front suspension with calipers from a '81 911 SC.
I am compeltely rebuilding it with bump steer, adj. Koni's, ball joints, 930 Tie Rod Ends, etc...

I have two questions.

1. Is there any a need/advantage to change the steering rack from the 914 to the 911 rack?

2. What type of SS brake lines. Looks like the 914 won't work. Therefore, I need 911 SS lines???

Any other tips would also be appreciated

Thanks in advance

------------------
Smoke Daddy
Old 12-04-1999, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

1). No. Unless yours is screwed up.
2).The 914 lines can be made to work.
Enlarge the hole for the brake line support just large enough for the end on the line to
pass thru(I used a die grinder with a hole sanding attachment). Shade the hole away from the strut tube. The 914 retainer clip will fit
(just barely with persuasion)or can be ground narrower on the tube side.
It's not a structural piece so strength is not a major issue.
JPIII
Old 12-05-1999, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I put an 84 Carrera front on as bolt-on all the way. Only thing I had to change was the steering rod out of the rack. Comparing the two racks It looks like the 911 rack has built in bump steer.
Old 12-06-1999, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Use the rack, its always better to "update" all components together, and its not much more work. I have the '84 Carrera front in mine and it works and feels great.

The brake lines? easier to just buy the 911 type and use an "EARL'S" brake adaptor fitting at the mounting point. Its not good to "rig up" to many parts on your car, just buy the right stuff.
Old 12-09-1999, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: