Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Steel wheel questions answered....I think

Okay, so a while back there was some question about factory steel wheels from porsche and factory steel wheels from VW.

Are they the same?

No, they aren't and an easy way to tell is to look for a number stamped right on the front.

ET40 = 914;

Anything else is VW specific - I think for a VW it would be ET26 but I haven't been able to totally confirm it. I'm about ready to just start looking at them parked on the street (so many around here...) to see. I'll let you know, but that's what I'm looking at so far for info.

If anyone has the EARLY steel wheels that are not the mag look I would be interested to know what the ET number is on them.

I heart Boobies
Old 09-05-2003, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Seriously, does anyone have some early steel wheels they can look at to check the ET number on them?

I heart Boobies
Old 09-06-2003, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
i checked my spare, didn't find anything stamped ET.

the only stampings that i could find are vw and 5 1/2 J x 15

Old 09-06-2003, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Any chance I can get you yo measure it?

Use a straight edge over the width of the back of the rim, the measure with a ruler (metic or standard) the distance from the base of the back to the straigt edge (basically the back of the rim).

For example, a 4 lug fuch is about 4 5/8" backspaing. I'll measure my mag look steel wheel tomorrow and take a picture of the numbers as well.

I heart Boobies
Old 09-06-2003, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I pulled my spare as well (I know these are the original steel wheels from a '72 - I bought the car in '78 as the second owner).

Stamped the same (5 1/2 J x 15 ).

I can pull the hubcaps and look at the other four if you want me too.

I did lay a straight edge on the rim (steel to steel - no tire touching) and measured 4 - 5/8" to the back of the wheel (I did not measure into the lug hole.

Hope it helps - let me know if you need photos of how I measured.

Last edited by Kansas 914; 09-07-2003 at 05:38 AM..
Old 09-07-2003, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That's perfect man. Thanks Mike

I heart Boobies
Old 09-07-2003, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mike,

Can you measure how wide the wheel is? I'll figure the offset and add it to my list.

Thanks, Gary
Old 09-07-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

pic of mine...

Measured the back spacing and it is just like a fuch, 4 5/8"

I heart Boobies

Last edited by mikester; 09-07-2003 at 03:06 PM..
Old 09-07-2003, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mikester,

So your wheel is not for the hubcap? My wheel has different looking slots and will accept hubcaps. Your style has the ET number - my style does not.

I think the mystery is becoming less of one.

Old 09-08-2003, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Your wheel is the early standard steel wheel. The very early ones were 4.5", later were 5.5. I think they were used from '70-74. Are you sure there are no numbers stamped (also VW symbol) on the flat surface between the lug bolt holes? I recall seeing ET # and width there.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Actually, 5.5" wide steel wheels were optional on early cars. Supposedly the 4.5s were a cost-cutting measure.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-08-2003, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hi Jim,

I thought the only thing stamped on my wheels were the 5 1/2 J x 15, the VW emblem and then I found 10/71 (10 over 71) it was covered with paint and hard to read. Maybe that is a date of manufacture? I can not find any ET numbers.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Maybe that's all there is. If the ET were there it would be on one of those flat spots and be the same stamping as the 10/71 (yes that is manufacture date).
Old 09-08-2003, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I've never seen it myself I only read from some google posts that it was stamped on VW specific rims. I assumed it might be on our specific rims as well. If not, just up to measuring them. Thanks for all the posts guys, it sheds a lot of light on our specific steel rims.

I heart Boobies
Old 09-08-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi all;
I know this is a really old post. I was trolling the forums for some spare tire info and came across this. So I thought I would post here. I am the original owner of my 1973 914 1.7. Before I get into what is stamped on the rims I have this question. It appears that my spare tire rim is smaller than my other rims. Is this normal? It seems to be an inch narrower I measure 4 1/2 inches thick where my other 4 are 5 1/2 inches thick. Could this be for a better fit in the spare tire compartment? The tires have been long gone to recycling heaven.
The stamps on my stock steel rims are this, (oh it came with the moon hubcaps if that helps). On the smaller rim there is the VW stamp there is a ET 41 stamp a 5/75 stamp and a 4 1/2 J X 15. On the other four there is the VW stamp, a 11/72 stamp and 5 1/2 J X 15.

So, what size tire would go on the smaller (spare?) rim?
I'm thinking of putting 195/60/15 on the car what do ya all think.

Almost done restoring, thinking tires and paint yahoo

Thanks
Dennis

Last edited by Dkelly914; 08-10-2009 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: didn't say thanks :)
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Your spare wheel is not original to the car. It is a 4.5" VW wheel for a post '75 VW.
The others are likely the original wheels. You could certainly use the 4.5 as a spare but I would recommend finding a 5.5" 914 wheel. It should have the same offset number (ET) as your other four stamped on it. VW wheels have a different ET. Post a "want to buy" ad on the various 914 boards and look on thesamba.com.
I would go with 195/65 tires. Closer to factory size so as not to affect gearing and speedo accuracy.

Last edited by Jim Chambers; 08-10-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hi Jim;
Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder now what could of happened to the original spare because I bought the car new from a dealer. It was driven up from NYC tho so who knows
I'll seriously consider the 195/65's
Thanks
DK
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Now that I think about it there where a couple of times in it's life it could have gotten switched I do remember some rough driving times now that I think about it lol

Thanks again
DK
Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

WOW! I don't even remember remembering this stuff! Boy I used to be 914 smart...

I heart Boobies
Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

DK, you might want to get the 195/60s as planned.

One of our local 914 guys got 195/65s and said their higher/ softer sidewall gave the car a lack of crispness in cornering, so he took them back and got 195/60s to get the handling he wanted... the handling most of us want in a 914.

The speedometer difference is a trivial factor.

LOL Mike..
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: