Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil leak problem update

I have an oil leak coming from a screw in the engine case. It is on the right side, between pistion 1 and 2, on the bottem side close to the push rod tubes. At least it is where I think it is coming from. I put in oil and it leaks back out then stops. Not all of the oil will leak out. This happens without the engine ever running. What dose the screw do? Is there a seal I can replace? This didn't start to happen until I the degresed the engine and transaxle. Go figure.

Thanks, a new 914 owner, Chris.

I took some pictures. Dose anyone know the size of the star nut.

Old 09-06-2003, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thats one of the oil pressure relief valves.

The drive portion of a 3/8 ratchet will fit to remove or tignten it. No socket, just the 3/8 square drive.

Can be resealed with a little permatex 2.

If the bolt above it is leaking - loosen the plate on the bottom of the engine then remove the bolt and reseal. Do not remove the bolt without loosning the plate it will strip the threads.

Ken
Old 09-06-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What dose the hex bolt do?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Behind it is a spring and a plunger. When the oil pressure is high it pushes the plunger down that uncovers a hole allowing the oil to go back to the bottom of the case, therefor limiting the maxium oil pressure.

OK??

Ken
Old 09-06-2003, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The hex bolt (regular standard bolt) serves two purposes. It holds the case halves together at that point, and the oil pickup and such also hangs off of it.

Ken's description applies to the star-head bolt. It's a plug that covers the oil pressure relief piston.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-08-2003, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: