Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broken Bolt

Hi,

This was the bolt that was leaking oil. It was on the right side of the engine on the bottom. It was suggest that I tighten it a little. While I turned it a 1/4 turn and it broke off at the treads. Is there anyway of getting it out or am I totally screwed. literally.

Thanks, Chris.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Spray PB Balster in there and let it sit. Do this for a few days. Yo will probably have to drill it out. I think that is a case bolt that holds the two case halves together. Might be a nut on the other side.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

For 10 bucks go get a set of these screw extractors from Harbor Freight or local tool store. Maybe you can drill into it and thread it back out. Get a new bolt and use some thread sealant.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Folks, this is also the bolt that the oil strainer and oil pickup hang from. It is possible that the case has been damaged (previously or by this activity).

If the bolt came out broken off, with no aluminum stuck in whatever threads may be left, you may be in luck. Try the extractors shown (or something similar). If there is aluminum jammed into the threads (it may look like the threads were scrubbed off of the bolt) you are kinda hosed...

If worse comes to worst, you will have to tear the whole motor down to get at this part of it. What that means is "engine rebuild".

Hopefully it won't come to that!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-08-2003, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: