Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Silicone brake fluid - back to DOT 4

Hey guys:
While draining the old brake fluid in my 914 (it's been sitting for 4 years), I noticed someone had put a label on the fluid reservior that reads "SILICONE FLUID ONLY"
So, I assume a PO had put silicone brake fluid in the system.
After I've rebuilt the calipers and replaced the pads, I will be putting regular DOT 4 Heavy Duty brake fluid in. This is the stuff I got from the local parts supply store.
I drained the old fluid about 2 days ago and it's been sitting empty since.
So, my question is:
So I need to do anything special like flush the system with anything (alchohol?) before I put the new DOT 4 fluid in when I bleed the system?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Andy...
Old 09-07-2003, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The labels on the silicone fluid I've seen says it's compatible with regular fluid - which is good if you are low and DOT3/4 is all you have. I'd say the best thing to flush it out with is just more brake fluid. So get plenty of DOT4 and just keep pumping until all you get out is clean, clear fluid on all bleeders.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You certainly don't want to put alcohol in the system. It will dry out and crack any rubber it comes in contact with. Just flush with the DOT 4.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great, thanks guys!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: