Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front calipers

I ordered a pair of front calipers, found out when they were delivered they are both driver side, the place i bought them from said there is no differece and can be interchangeable. Is this true? Also does someone have a source for the spreader spring, the old ones lost the rivet and are very brittle. Thanx
Old 09-08-2003, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well the place you bought them from is sort of right, except that the vent screw will be on the bottom if you put the driver's side caliper on the right. I'd recommend trading it for the correct one so you don't have to try bleeding the caliper off the car and then putting it on. As far as I know the springs are NLA so I'd try fixing it with a rivet which is what I did a couple of years ago and it works okay. Good luck
Old 09-08-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ruddyboys,

I bought my speader springs from Pelican, it's not in the on line catalog but I talked to one of the sales people and they found it no problem.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

John, These Calipers have the two bleeders are there a difference. Also how can you tell the difference visually between left and right.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
if they have a top and bottom bleeder... then there is no difference...
Old 09-08-2003, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

He's correct, if there are two bleeders, no difference at all. Good luck
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I recently rebuild my calipers (with two bleeders). I couldn't tell a difference between the two.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-08-2003, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The early calipers had two bleeders and should be interchangeable. The later calipers have one bleeder and are not interchangeable since the bleed screw would be in the wrong place or so my experience says.

I know nuthin'

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 09-08-2003, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

OK, possible dumb question here:
the little piston angled contact thingy (technical term) is supposed to be at a certain angle to level, right?
If you take a caliper and put it on the other side, you would have to make an adjustment to that angle, basically re-setting it, right? please don't flame me too hard if I'm all messed up, for some reason I can't picture it in my head right now.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You align the notched-out side of the piston against the direction of rotation. Depending on how the caliper mounts, basically the edges of the notch line up to the center of the axle. I think this is what you're referring to anyway.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I brought my beat-up spreaders to Foreign Auto Parts and they matched it....with what I don't know but it looked the same and fit.
Ed
Old 09-10-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: