Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Flywheel

Does anybody know what the minimum thickness of the flywheel can be, I can't find anything in the Haynes manual. I need to have mine resurfaced, but I don't know if there is enough material left.
Old 12-10-1999, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My flywheel had some moderate scoring on the friction surface so I had the same concern as you. I brought the flywheel to a VW place
( http://www.bowwow.ca ) for a "reface and depth adjust" and just let them inspect, measure and worry about it. They have been in business machining VW parts for over 20 years so I hope they did it right.

Alpine
Old 12-11-1999, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I resurfaced mine, but never found any hard datd on the min thickness. All I can say is to be sure the shop cuts the step that the pressure plate mounts to the same as the face. If the face ends up being too thin you can grind down the heads of the flywhhel bolts ( not too much but you can take the ridge off). Also before you put the motor back in the car see if the throw out fork pivot needs washers under it to account for the extra distance. Otherwise the clutch will slip and the trans needs to come out.
Old 12-11-1999, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had mine done at a respectable tranny shop here in MI. I don't remember what it was, but they had the specs. So, I would try calling a tranny shop and asking.
Old 12-13-1999, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

[This message has been edited by Charlie Moore (edited 12-13-1999).]
Old 12-13-1999, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: