Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Never left, but not right

Do you call your 914 a Porsha?

See thread on 911 board: I'm gettin' fried on Rennlist...
I'm actually surprised. About half of the 911 owners call them a *Porsh* and aren't apologizing for it. But those that call it a Porsha are really sticking to their guns.

Now, I know I'd feel a little goofy if I said, "Wanna see my 'Porsha' race car?" And opened up the garage door to reveal my 914 race car. The best I usually get is, "Oh, I REMEMBER those." (sigh) So, which one of my cars is a 'Porsha?'

Answer: I have Porsches (plural). You guys like Porsches? I know some people that own Porcshes. Porsches are cool. Use the plural form and you'll always be spot on whether talking to Hans or Dieter or Bubba or Tom down the street.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What makes this solution brilliant is its simplicity.
Great problem solving, Milt!

Ed
Old 09-10-2003, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Exclamation They call it situational awareness

To my brother the 911 owner, of course it's a Porssha. To the people who ask me on the road "What is that car?", I say "Porsh".. It is kinda silly to get very worked up over. Do you say "Fulksvagen"? or even "Budvieser"? Nope. Neither do I. I've conceeded to the fact that American pronunciation is appropriate here in America. But in my mind it remains "Porsche", pronounced with a good German accent like Herr Dr.

My gallery page
Old 09-10-2003, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
mine's a 914. I've only got one porsche insignia on the car and that's my front license plate holder.... for now. I didn't have any other license plate holders to put on there so I put it back on. I've found that people generally associate porsches (usually 911s not 914s, I screwed up) with arrogant pricks (like our mercedes) and I have no need to show off that I own a porsche, but most people that have seen my car as it sits right now think it looks pretty cool regardless.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/

Last edited by Biggy72; 09-10-2003 at 06:31 PM..
Old 09-10-2003, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
My car is Porsha 100%, but when people say they don't know what that is I ask, "Do you know what a Porsch is?" Then I say, "Well, its actually PORSCHE with an A at the end"

That always works for me

Adam
Old 09-10-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"...like Herr Dr." We usta call a PHD'd German colleague of mine "the hair doctor". He had a good sense of humor.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

LOL Milt!

I don't want to say what I call my rides, it would just look like this..**** ********* ***** **** **** **** **** ******* **** ************* **** *******

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 09-10-2003, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
yea, I saw a Porsche spokesman at a race on TV a few years ago... the announcer mis-pronounces PORSCHA as PORSH 2-3 times, finally the guy got upset and said "no, POR-SHA" ever since then I remember to pronounce it correctly so I don't sounds like an ignorant redneck... even if I am one
Old 09-10-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When we joined PCA, the intro booklet said "PORSCHE, A Two Sylable Word" right on the cover. Then a couple of years ago I saw the History channel show on the P-car and what did I hear but some of the Porsche family calling each other "Porsch", NO "Ah" at the end. But when they talked about the cars they were all the two sylable word!
How's the engine rebuild coming MIlt???
Old 09-10-2003, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
I just remembered, my uncle was at a PCA race with one of his friend and he told me everyone at the race called them a SHA.

I laughed and said, "At least there not called SH's"

Adam
Old 09-10-2003, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
I thought it was the family name, two sylables so ever since I say it 'Porscha' since I do not like to hear my name mis-pronounced. I saw Ferry in an inrtview say it "Porscha"
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

my father in attempts at humor refers to my car a porch, he knows how to pronounce the name just like the verbal jab at my on the car dolly porsche
Old 09-11-2003, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I actually have heard it reffered to as a " Pourshee"...As in " Ain't seen too many Pourshees like thatun..."

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 09-11-2003, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I have heard someone from Porsche AG say that the car can be pronounced "Porsh" or "Porsha", but that the family name is pronounced "Porsha". (Translation: "We don't give a s**t what you call it as long as your money is green!!")

I have heard interviews where the final syllable was all but completely swallowed...

And finally, the young German guy who was the guide during my factory tour seemed to put about six extra vowels in there! He pronounced it something like "pwoearsha", but with the final "a" almost swallowed again. Very odd....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-11-2003, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Went to look at a parts car in a trailer park once, and that guy pronounced it 'porch', like where grandma and her dog sit to enjoy a lazy afternoon. I didn't bother re-educating him... one shot of beer-breath was enough, I didn't want to give him another reason to exhale.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Thats wierd, I usually hear mine pronounced as "Fiat" or "Triumph" and once even "Ferrari". If I call it a Porsche in today world most people expect to see a Boxter. So I just call it a 914 and let the opinions fly.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Friend of mine (and former 914 owner) refers to mine as a Porkswagen, probably out of contempt for the one he owned. (His was a tired, rusty, run-down and defeated heap that never had a shot at graceful retirement.)
Old 09-11-2003, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
You guys are all way too complicated, my wife always asks me if we are taking "the little car".
Old 09-11-2003, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I like the plural:

Porshashas...sha

James

Uhhh - what _he_ said (pointing finger)
Old 09-11-2003, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I've got it good. I have a 914 & a 1981 BMW 320i (which I paid $500 for). Both are in excellent shape & look new. Everyone I know says "Wow! You have a BMW & a Porsche" Most non-porsche people just don't know the difference.

It amazes me that someone with a Saturn that probably costs $15K more than my cars combined is impressed with my "exotic" cars.

For a long time people did not give the 914 any credit but it seems that now that 30 years have past it's a porsche & a classic at that.

Ohh yeah, I call it a porsche unless I'm feeling yuppie & call it a porsha.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-11-2003, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: