Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to auh
Carbs ?

I think my carbs are running rich.

When I hit my gas pedal the engine spudders like its being flooded and i get a raw gas smell.

What do you guys think?

If it is too rich, how do I lean them out?

Thanks

Adam
Old 09-10-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
there are adjustments on the side... get a synchronizer tool...
Old 09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Put Fuel Injection in it
Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
Haha, thats a pain, but a premium. I think I'll stick to my webers.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

yes put on the f.i. if it doesn't crap out on you between seattle and portland you're good to go. what size carbs are you running? could you be more specific than "..sputters.."? is this while sitting or nailing it while rolling? what rpm? do you get popping back thru the carbs? how do the plugs look? get the webber book from c.b. read it!! go thru the setup proceedure then read the trouble shooting guide. it's very detailed and specific. under 3000rpm or so it's all idle circuit so lets start with your idle jet size. there is a screw head near the top of the barrel of each carb body, to the side of the fuel inlet pull one and look. try setting each a/f screw at 2 1/2 turns off of bottom to start. other than a plugged idle jet/ circuit (a 10 mintute fix), my 40's on a 2.0 with a triad linkage, cb rotary fuel pump, and a real t-4 fuel filter i've had no problems.

kevin
Old 09-11-2003, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
If you give all the particluars on your carb setup, Jake Raby can probably diagnose what's wrong in 1 minute.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm installing one of those A/F mixture gauges (CB Performance), not sure how accurate they are, but it should let me know if the A/F mixture is in the ballpark. Sure don't want to burn up those new valves!

This is probably OVERKILL x 4, but I'm concidering putting an O2 sensor in each of the exhaust outlets just before the muffler. I saw a slick A/F mixture bar graph set-up on a Triumph GT6 site that you can make very cheap (my favorite word). This guy used one on each down-pipe of his exhaust (2 sensors and bar graphs), and it kept track of the individual carbs. By using 4 of these set-ups plus my CBP gauge, I could theoretically tune each cylinder individually, and keep track of how they are running (lean/rich) at any rpm or load. I'll see if I can fine the guy's website.

Here it is:
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/AFMonitor/AFMonitor.htm

'73 914
'75 914
Old 09-11-2003, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

More information please.....

Synch them, set the idle, get the idle mixture dialed in, re-set the idle, and then make sure the accelerator pumps are functioning correctly.

For a quick check see if all pump jets are squirting identically when you kick the accelerator, and only when you kick the accelerator.

Consider getting CB performances Weber car book, it specializes in porsche and VW 4-bangers, explains how they work, has a decent trouble shooting guide, gives some quick and dirty tricks to try.
I'm getting the hang of my old DCNFs - the learning curve is short (but frustrating).
Good luck.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 09-11-2003, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: