Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

(LONG POST) Selling my 914, + lots of extras...

Hi. Long-time 914 owner, infrequent poster, now a seller.

I need to part with my 1975 Porsche 914 2.0. I've decide I'd really like to start enjoying driving a 2-seat sports car again without the maintenance, upkeep and smog issues that go with owning an almost 30 year-old car. Plus, I'm apparently getting older and I just don't have the inclination to work on the 914 anymore like I used to. I just purchased a new Honda S2000, and now I need to find my 914 a new home to free up garage space. Although I'll really miss her, the time is right for me to sell and for someone else to enjoy the car (and the process!).

I would like advice from the forum as to what I should reasonably ask for the car. In addition to a complete, running car, I have a disassembled, complete 2.0 engine and transmission that I had planned to rebuild, having already purchased some of the new parts (Euro pistons, machine work, etc.). I also have a lot of spare 914 parts. I would like to dispose of all of this with the car, if possible.

Specifics:

1975 Porsche 914 2.0, completely stock and "all there" including working air pump (currently not installed but included)

Color: Ancona Blue Metallic
Wheels: Stock Mahle's that were optional in '75, powder-coated silver.

Tires: New set of Yokohama AVS dB 195/65R15's, virtually no miles on them (car has been a DMV "Non-op) for 2 years)

Exceptions to stock:

* SS Heat Exchangers and non-stock muffler (complete original HX & exhaust included)
*CD ignition (replaces points & condenser)
* K&N air filter
* Turbo Tie-Rods
* Front sway bar added (not originally equipped with one)
* Rear way bar included, but not installed; new mounts (included, need to be welded on)
* New Rear coil springs & used adjustable red Koni shocks
* 19mm master cylinder, SS brake lines
* Radio replaced with Clarion CD-player, although stock radio is included
* European tail light lenses (stock lenses included)

General condition of car:

Good, not excellent, because it was my "daily driver" for a number of years. Positives are that nothing is missing, no rust to speak of (car was completely repainted/rust areas replaced about 8 years ago), and handling/braking remain excellent. Car has always been garaged-stored.

Not perfect: Interior, while complete, features non-stock seat upholstery (car came that way and I never got around to buying seat covers) and a less than hi-quality carpet kit purchased years ago from AA. Also, I recently replaced the broken temperature control lever assembly with another one, but haven't had time to go in and connect all the cables under the front hood (hard to get to!), so air distribution isn't working at the moment. There is an area of touch-up paint on top of the windshield roof frame, and the front hood paint has begun to show evidence of blistering, but only noticeable up close.

Mechanical: Car drives, handles and brakes well. Engine runs well but is tired (hence building new motor). Smokes when cold, but did manage to pass it's smog 2 years ago. Engine also leaks oil in the usual "Type IV" places: pushrod tubes and also from the transmission's plastic shift cover. Nothing serious, just typical of a tired 914, I suppose.

Extras:

* Complete transmission
* Disassembled 2.0 engine, plus some new parts (gasket set, including 8:0 Euro pistons & sleeves)
* Stock exhaust, heat exchangers
* Rear sway bar, new mounts
* Several crates of spare 1.8 & 2.0 bits and pieces.

Advice on how to price this would be appreciated, as would interest in taking all of this off of my hands. The car will be sold "as is" as will anything sold separately.

IMO, this car could be someone's daily driver or a project for restoration. I've tried to convey that it's far from perfect, but is a relatively rust-free, complete 914 with some extra parts as part of the deal.

I live in San Francisco, and would prefer to dispose of as much of my "914 collection" as I can in a single sale. What ever remains of my parts will probably be donated to the local Porsche dismantler. Also, I'm not looking for necessarily the highest price I can find, but rather, for my convenience, a buyer who can take everything I'm selling as a package.

I can be contacted via email: djs@gene.com

Thanks,

Dan
Old 09-14-2003, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Pictures?

I heart Boobies
Old 09-14-2003, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Picture of my 914 for sale...

Here's a not very good jpeg of my car. I'm not sure how to improve the quality and stay under the 100K size limit, but I will try to get some better pictures and upload them to the forum.

Dan
Old 09-14-2003, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Try putting it in the classified on this site. I found mine in www.collectorcartrader.com, you could also put it up on www.914club.com.

I heart Boobies
Old 09-14-2003, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to auh
Do you have extra silver letters and a trunk botton?

thanks

Adam
Old 09-15-2003, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: