Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to abe914
P&C and flywheels

Need a source for 96mmP&c for a 2.0L.
Anyone who has had their flywheel lightened, and by how much? Any ideas would be helpful. Machinist knows how, but is not familiar with this particular setup>
Thanks.
Houston in Louisiana
Old 12-13-1999, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check out Mike Nugents site for the flywheel,
it shows how much and where his was cut, that might give you a good starting point. http://home1.gte.net/nugentmd/914lite.htm

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 12-13-1999, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just lightened my flywheel. Basically I took it down to my mechanic and told him to "lighten it till it's thin as foil!" Well I left it up to him. Still he took 10lbs off it, after discussing the output of the engine and compression. Now there is basically a very thin little peice of metal that runs up from the clutch area to the starter ring.

Downsid eo fhtis is that idle is lumpier than before and when you spin the engine down from >3K in neutral it "feels" like it's gonna die. Just the typical feel you get from lowering reciprocal mass in a 4cyl.

Ian

BTW after lightening the flywheel I balanced it with the crankshaft. This was pat of balancing the entire engine, but would have to have been done anyway.
Old 12-14-1999, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: