Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Windshield type

I know some windshield fits good, some won't.

I'm looking at one for sale w/ 'Ln' logo. Who is the mfr and will this fit O.K.? Anybody w/ experience w/ this windshield?

Thanks,

Kurt

'03 Saab 9-5 Linear Sport Wagon
I'm getting spoiled.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know anything about that windshield, but I do know that a windshield that does fit good can be made to not fit good just the way it is stored. I stored mine flat for about 8 months, and it required clamps to pull it back into shape to fit into the opening. Perhaps this is a reason why some fit good and others don't.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
I bought a PPG. Although it lacks the top curvature of teh OEM piece, it does fit well with teh OG trim installed
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

THis reminds me of something I saw in Europe. There are lots of old buildings where the windows look as though they have gotten thicker at the bottom than the top. Over time, the glass settles towards the bottom. It's quite interesting to see. Keep in mind that glass is essentially a liquid and does flex and shift over time.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Jared, read this:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

Yup, it's an urban legend.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

pbanders, not an urban legend, it's a very real thing. go look at 300+year old buildings and glass and you'll see it.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I always thought it settled like that too. I've seen stuff like that in 100 year old buildings around here....there's not that many, but it's noticeable

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 09-17-2003, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well I don't know if this old building glass story is the same effect or not, but I know for sure that a windshield's shape will distort if you leave it off the car for several months without supporting it. The weight of the glass will slowly flatten the curvature, so when you go to reinstall it, the sides don't fit tight against the pinchweld. Fortunately glass is flexible enough to force it if not too far. In my case, there was a gap of about an inch on the sides and it took big clamps to press it down. If I ever do this again I'll put bands across the windshield lengthwise to hold its shape. Better yet would be a big box with styrofoam shaped out to fit under it.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One Fault in the "article"... explaining why 300 year old buildings do not have thicker glass on the top. If it was purely a manufacturing issue, then I find it REALLY difficult to believe that ALL of these old buildings installed the glass with the thick side down.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Logic courtesy of Gracie Allen?..
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
it is easier to hold the glass with the heavier side down while installing it, makes sense to me
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If they did, we wouldn't know it - it's all flowed downhill and on the bottom side by now.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared at Pelican Parts
pbanders, not an urban legend, it's a very real thing. go look at 300+year old buildings and glass and you'll see it.
The fact that glass that was manufactured long ago has thicker bottoms is not an urban legend, the reason that people have come up with to explain it (i.e. glass is a liquid) is the urban legend. BTW, you don't need to go to Europe to see glass that was manufactured and installed in this way, Christ Church in Alexandria, VA, has many original panes of glass that have thicker bottom sections.

Read the article, and if you're not convinced, just use Google and put in the search terms, "urban legend glass liquid". There are dozens of additional references.

This article explains the reasons behind the "thicker bottom" thing in more detail:

http://www.robinsonglass.com/analysis.htm

In particular, note the passage that talks about why the thicker part of the glass would be installed at the bottom of the pane.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Brad - be careful what you believe if it comes from Alfred U! while the ceramic and glass engineering there are among the best in the world - the partying there is second to none!

yeah, i admit it. i went there (Chemistry BS) but redeemed myself with a grad degree from a 'real' school

jbb
Old 09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Okay.. makes sense... so maybe it's all a hoax established by the HPTGG (Historical Place Tour Guide Guild)... heh heh..

So how is this going to solve the windshield problem for Kuro or explain 914GT's sagging windshield?

Last edited by kellzey; 09-17-2003 at 06:27 PM..
Old 09-17-2003, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Karl,

Thanks for reminding all. I'm still waiting for some info about windshield marked 'Ln'. Anbody any experience with it?

'03 Saab 9-5 Linear Sport Wagon
I'm getting spoiled.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: