Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

radio install

Can anyone help me find a place to tap into power from the accessory position from the ignition? I have the constant power but no the other.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
There is no "Accessory" position on the 914's ignition switch; just OFF, ON, and START; such is life.

If you want your radio/system to turn off when the key is removed (to preclude returning to a dead battery), you'll have no choice but to wire to the ON (switched) position.

Live with the fact that you can't rock-the-block unless your engine is running; leaving it in the ON position (without the engine running) for any length of time WILL fry a breakerless ignition module (if so equipped), fuse a set of points (ditto), or roast an ignition coil.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. I was wondering why I couldn't get power where I thought there was an accessory position. Also thanks for the info on the potential damage to ignition I wasn't aware of that
Old 09-16-2003, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
Leaving the car ON really isn't that good for points either. But it's definitely worse for electronic ignition.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

On my old Bus, I had a toggle switch mounted on the dash which would switch the power source from the ignition to the battery. Normally, I would run it in the “ignition switched” mode but on the occasion that I wanted to play the radio with the engine off, I would switch it to the “battery” mode.

Get a 2 position toggle switch with 3 leads on the back. Connect the middle lead to the radio 12v input, one outer one to the battery, and the other outer one to a ignition switched point. Label it correctly.

Good luck
Old 09-18-2003, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I always play my radio loud. That way, I always remember to turn it off when I leave the car. I don't like leaving my ignition on so my radio is wired to work any time (regardless of ignition).

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-18-2003, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I like the toggle switch idea. When I buy my new deck I think I'll wire it in like that.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 09-18-2003, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just wired up my '74 with the toggle switch, works like a charm! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 914GT

I haven't wired it up though - strictly a paper design but I can post it if anyone wants to play with it.
Please post. The toggle switch is so so 70's ;-) It would be a lot of fun to turn off the radio by closing the door.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The toggle switch setup is based on Bander's post above. Very simple. Two modes, ignition switched where the radio is controlled by the ignition, and battery mode where it runs whether or not the key is on.

Two position switch with three posts on the back, middle goes to the switched lead on the radio, the other two go to a switched position on the fuse block and to a constant 12V lead.

Last edited by eric_person; 11-08-2005 at 04:07 PM..
Old 11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Let's see the high tech design... would either door trigger it? would it be wired to the cabin light circuit or just the driver door? This idea sounds way too cool.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: