Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Do I have Hydraulic valves?

I recently acquired a 74 1.8 (my third) and the seller was not sure if it had been changed to hydraulic valves. Of course, before I go and adjust the valves, I need to know! How can I tell for sure if I have hydraulics (and thus no need for adjustment)?
Old 09-16-2003, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i'd say the long answer is take one out and do a visual check. i'd say the short answer is measure or attempt to measure the valve lash. if there is none, then probably hyd. if there is some, then probably not hyd. to make 100% sure, i'd do the long answer. hopefully, more knowlegable will answer too.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 09-17-2003, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Another way would be to look inside the valve cover and see if the springs between the rockers have been replaced with solid spacers. I was told to go hydraulic, you need to take out the springs and replace them with the solid spacers. Mine has them.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-17-2003, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
That's not a very good indicator, frankly. You can indeed use hydro lifters without the solid spacers, though I doubt very many people ever have. (The Bus that the hydro lifters came out of had the spacers, ya see...) But the spacers are sold as an "upgrade" for non-hydro 914s as well, so you can't use them as a definite "yes" or "no".

Having a spring is a "pretty good" indicator, but having a spacer isn't, IMHO.

If you had a pushrod for solid lifters, you could compare the length of the pushrod from your motor. Hydro lifters are slightly longer and so the pushrod winds up being slightly shorter. But to be sure, you will need to pull the lifter and check it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-17-2003, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Compare.....pushrods, stock is fat... Hydraulic's are thinner and the tips are different! once you compare the 2 you will see the difference. and if you have Hydraulic's use 20/50 it quiets them down faster at warm-up............I use Hydraulic cam set-up in all my engine rebuilds, never had any issues other than the weight of oil as I mentioned above...........contrary to what most people think!

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 09-17-2003, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Jason
Hope you are enjoying the car. I am almost sure it has hydraulic lifters.
I put at least 10k on the car and never an adj. If you let it sit for about 2 weeks it will take a couple of min. to pump one of them up. It will make noise and miss for a min. I started using 10w 40 and it seemed to help. But ............ a sticky valve could do the same ...
Doug
Old 09-18-2003, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm pretty sure the hydr push rods for the webcam I put in many years ago were clearly different from stock. There is an oil passage through the center, and a reservoir at the cam end that pumps up with engine oil to hold the surface against the cam. Stock ones were just a rod (maybe open in the center, i don't remember, but no "reservoir tip" say- where have I heard that before?)...

My gallery page
Old 09-21-2003, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks all for the responses -- I'll use 'em all. I do have on valve that sounds noisy on start up, and get better when warm but still clicking alot. I'll check the clearance soon to be sure.
Jason
Old 09-21-2003, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: