Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Red face Swepco Fuel Improver

Hi All,
I recently added a bottle of Swepco Fuel Improver to my gas tank, filled the tank with premium & drove home. The next morning when I started my car, (2.0, D-Jet F.I.) it was hard to start - felt like it was flooded. I revved it a few times, let it idle & it stalled. I got it started again, goosed it & drove it to work. Once it warmed up it left fine. But after work when I started it up I was greeted with the same senario. She didn't have this problem before. I wonder if I mixed too much???
Anyboby have similar condition?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-17-2003, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm not sure if the additive has anything to do with your problem or if it's a coincidence. I doubt it has anything to do with the concentration.

I'd check your fuel pressure. Another possibility is that the additive washed a bunch of crap into an injector.

I'm really wary of fuel additives for older cars. Most have very strong detergents in them designed to clean the fuel system. Why is that a problem? if your fuel tank has 30 years of crap in it, the detergents can wash all that crap right into your filter or worse, your pump or injector system.
I put some real "special" additive into my 1965 bug many years ago. It took me three weeks, at least 5 filters, one fuel pump and pulling the tank for cleaning before I got the thing running right again. It would run about 10 minutes beofre getting all clogged up again and stumbling. That was the last time I used any kind of fuel additive (besides my home made stuff )
Old 09-17-2003, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I recently used some fuel injector cleaner in my car. Suddenly, my car started pinging & ran lousey for about a month. It did return to normal after a couple of tanks of normal gas & a new fuel filter.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-18-2003, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I removed and flushed my gas tank about a year ago. Also replaced the fuel hoses and filter at that time, so I don't think its contamination. I replaced my spark plugs last night and much to my surprise - one plug was so loose that I didn't need the ratchet to turn the socket!!! Replaced the plugs, torqued to spec. Started right up this morning & left fine all the way to work. Must have been a combination of coincidence & me thinkin' too hard:-) Thanks for your input!!!
Gary
Old 09-19-2003, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: