Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broken horn connector

Ok, yesterday my 9 year old was playing race driver, as Im still working on getting the horn working I just had the steering wheel pushed into place without the nut on. After he won LeManns I removed the steeing wheel to find the top part of the brass contact broken off. Is there a replacement piece that I can rivet to the directional switch or will the horn work fine with the top part missing.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure how to fix your specific problem but the Porsche 924 has the same turn signal switch. You can usually find these at a wrecking yard easier than finding a 914.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-18-2003, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What part is it that has broken off?

The 72+ or 73+ cars have a wire that plugs into the back side of the "horn button". When you press the button, the metal ring on the back of it makes contact with the metal of the wheel hub, which grounds the one wire running up the middle of the steering column. This completes a circuit that trips the horn relay, sending power to the horn. BEEEEP!

Not sure what broke off...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-18-2003, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here is a sketch of the broken piece. It just under the steering wheel and above the turn signal switch. The circled area is were the brass contact broke.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I may have that. I'll look tonight.
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 09-18-2003, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Broken Horn Contact - ruddyboys, bludden?

Hey,

I seem to have the same broken copper contact in the steering column that ruddyboys posted about in Sep-03. The thread stops without a solution posted

Anyhow, how dis that all turn out? My steering wheel started 'grinding' a few weeks ago, thought it was the bearing. Pulled it all apart to install new bearing today and found the copper horn contact all torn into pieces again.

Thanks, Greg.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I think it will still work....

I also got creepy grinding noises and expected bad bushing, but had all kinds of grit adhered to the copper circle on the back of the wheel and the contact fingers on the column. I really don't understand why it has two anyway. Like your drawing shows, they are a single strip riveted to the base thing, and the circle on the steering wheel is continueous for the entire circrumfance of back. Have you put it on and tried it?

My gallery page
Old 12-20-2004, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Boy this thead goes back. I just put on the wheel and it worked without a problem.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: