Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cooler bypass

At what oil pressure does the oil cooler bypass allow oil to flow to the oil cooler. If running a strictly race motor (external oil cooler only), could you remove the spring and piston and allow the external cooler thermostat control the flow to the cooler? I run about 65 psi oil pressure on average and my oil temps are not running where they should. I wonder if the high pressure restricts the bypass from allowing max flow to the cooler.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

On a cold start, the stock engine oil pressure bypasses the oil filter via the filter pressure relief valve and feeds oil to the engine oil pressure bypass valve and the oil cooler, in parallel. The cold oil bypasses the engine oil bypass valve and directly feeds the engine bearing oil circuit.
As the engine warms up, the filter bypass begins to close forcing some oil to pass through the filter and the engine oil bypass begins to close forcing some oil to pass through the cooler. When the engine is fully warmed up, both the filter and engine bypasses are fully closed and all of the oil from the pump goes through the filter and through the cooler to the engine bearing circuit.

With a race engine and remote oil cooler only, the purpose of the cooler T-stat is to allow the engine to warm up as quickly as possible. Since the stock engine bypass will be fully closed when the engine is warm, I don't see any value in eliminating the engine oil bypass.

philinjax
Old 09-20-2003, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: