Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
Question coil connections

i replaced my v-belt today (i'd like to see the book time for that!). last weekend i was coming home from richmond, when the belt broke, it disconnected the condensor wire off the distributor (i was in the fast lane at the time ) and shut off the engine. we reconnected the wire on a "likely" connection on the coil and i drove home. i wanted to double-check the connections on the coil and i came up with this which i think is contrary to the connections shown in haynes so i'm asking for a confirmation of the coil connections. i have a bosch blue coil and connected to terminal # 1 is a double black wire. connected to terminal # 15 is a white from the wiring harness, a black/purple (tach) and the green from the condensor. well, i looked at the haynes on page 175 (of my copy) and path 85 to the coil (N) shows the green wire from the condensor (C6) to terminal # 1 and a blk/purple also to # 1 and black to terminal # 15. so it appears to me that my connections are reversed. so, will the ignition work with the coil connected "backwards"? i've been driving it this way for 1500 mi! i reconnected it according to the way it was connected when i bought the car when i reworked the engine. this is the way it looks to me, so... what are the coil connections? 1974 1.8L L-jet

see also: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_74E.jpg

for current path referred to above in haynes
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC

Last edited by jamcleod; 09-20-2003 at 05:16 PM..
Old 09-20-2003, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It will work backwards, I believe, but not as well as the correct way.

I never remember the terminal numbers; I go by the "+" and "-" markings on the coil. There is a thick black wire that goes on the + terminal, and the green points wire, the black/purple tach wire, and white FI wire all go on the - terminal.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-21-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks. so it looks like terminal 15 with the black wire is the + and terminal 1 is the -. i see the green condensor wire to terminal 1 and the black/purple to 1 on the schematic, but am still looking for the white wire to 1 in the schematic. looked at the AFC schematic for 74. interesting that the coil works "backwards"
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 09-21-2003, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jim,

The coil works backwards because the wires you're connecting route electricity through the primary side of the coil. iirc, the primary side should be electrically isolated from the case, which is the secondary (hot spark) side. If it weren't so the car wouldn't run and you'd kill the regulator pretty quickly. It would be a dead short between hot and ground.

It's best to do it the right way so the reference to ground is consistent between all of the components. Doing it backwards won't hurt anything but it makes it confusing to the folks who get to inherit the work the PO did on our cars. But I see you've figured that out already....

How'd you finally get the belt on, did you try the engine bump trick you described to me?

john
Old 09-22-2003, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
actually, i put the belt on the "right" way. loosened the allen head bolt and the pivot bolt. had to remove the heating ducting under the car to get to it all. put the belt on and tightened it back up. i'd be interested in knowing the "book" time for changing the belt! bet it's 2 hrs. if the rain lets up i will attend to the wiring tomorrow.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You shouldn't have to loosen the pivot bolt. I think book time is 1/2 hour to an hour.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
doh! well, i took the ducting off for nothing. i did clean up a little oil seepage out of the valve cover. wow, $35-65 to replace the V-belt
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 09-23-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: