Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need Advice on Shipping My Car Accross Country

I need some advice on transporting a 914 across the country.

The good news: I won a 1974 2.0 Porsche 914 with a rebuilt engine and only 5,000 miles on it.

The bad news: I live in California & the car in in West Virginia.

I'm tempted to fly there & drive the car back but I have no idea of the condition of the car. The raffel that I won this car in says "excellent condition" & the photo's look good but the last thing I want is to breakdown 2,000 miles from home.

What do you guy's think?

http://www.wvschools.com/tvhs/tvprint.htm

Thanks,

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There are several auto transport companies around, look them up online. Or, If it were me, I would fly out and drive it back. Take the normal spare parts with you in a suit case. It would be a nice drive back this time of year. The weather is still nice and you will see the season changes as you cross the country.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-22-2003, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree with Skline. From stories I have heard on this board, it costs a fortune to ship the car across country....and most have had shipping problems.
Besides, you should know within 100 miles or so if you belive there will be any major problems with the car. Hopefully you would be able to find parts in a major city....if the unfortunate would occur.
Congrats on your win! I know several people who entered the same contest.
Good luck bringing it home!

Toast
Old 09-22-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Intercity is real good. Avoid Dependable
Old 09-22-2003, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd ship it, because it's probably only $1,000 in an open truck, $1,500 or so in a closed. Call a lot of people and you may just get lucky with a closed truck for the price of an open. The flight will be a few hundred, plus the gas will be 150, plus a few hotels, meals, etc., which only leaves you a few hundred ahead for your time and worries about whether it will make it; one breakdown and that's gone. My car looked fine but the alternator lead to the starter shorted out after an hour of running, and I had a red-hot toaster element glowing 1/2" from the high-pressure injection hose. I often see the 'drive it' replies and wonder how so many people have so much time on their hands to drive across the country. I read one guy's account about driving his back, how it broke down, kept needing to be push started, etc., and never regretted the $745 I paid from LA to Michigan. Plus, if it's as nice as it looks (lucky dog!), you can avoid a couple thousand miles worth of kicked-up rocks, wear and tear. However, if you're the adventurous type, buene suerte.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the advice!

I decided to have the car shipped - it's costing $950 and if I were to fly out it would be around $800 for all the costs added up.

Based on my own 914 experiences, I really don't want to chance a major breakdown until after I have looked over the car in detail. Besides, I don't have much time to take from work anyway.

I FINALLY HAVE A 2.0 - YIPPIE!!

I am so sick of having 1.8 questions & everyone gives me 2.0 advice (no offence, I've gotten lots of great tips). But, now I need to learn everything about the 2.0

Not bad for $25 + shipping. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-22-2003, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
A 74 2.0 for less than a grand? I would say not bad at all. Good luck with it.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-23-2003, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey, way cool, congrats!
It's quite the looker, good luck.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kunz
I've had lots of experience with Reliable....first class outfit! Avoid Horseless.....clueless would be a better name.

Mike
Old 09-24-2003, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Intercity and Horseless Carriage never bothered to respond to my online quote requests. A couple of the brokers had attractive prices, but no assurance the top loaded cars were going to be diapered, and had some zingers about the car not starting at delivery would cost you another $200 paid to the driver. Nuts to that.

I just used Passport for the second time in three years. No complaints, other than I contracted during a very busy time for transports out of California, and it took almost two weeks for pickup. Delivery was shorter than estimated.

'76 912E
Old 09-25-2003, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: