Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Oil Pressure Sender, 80 PSI dual sender

Hi All,
I recently purchased an oil pressure guage for my 914. I wanted to retain the oil "idiot light" so I purchased the "dual sender" as well. Unfortunately, there's only the one wire to the current oil sender in my wiring harness. Do I need to route another wire from the sender to the guage?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-22-2003, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yup! Or find a wire that is not used...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2003, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Any suggestions on what size wire, where / how/ to run the wires? I'd rather rebuilt my computer than to route & clip, and terminate wiring. Let's see, is that the blue wire with the purple stripe or the green wire with the brown stripe???
Old 09-22-2003, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

You need to run a wire from the sender all the way to the gauge. I cant tell you how to route the wire, only that it needs to be done. Obviously, use insulated wire, maybe 16 or 14 gauge. do not USE ANY existing wiring in the car. run NEW wires.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just did this and it was very easy. I bought 14 gauge wire and ran it from the engine bay following the throttle cable. Once inside the tunnel you can follow the engine wiring harness then follow the speedo cable from the floor up the the gauge. Sounds like a big job but you only need to remove the 'third seat' and change tray and the pedal board. Be careful that your wire doesnt wrap around the steering assembly-mine got twisted and kept unhooking from the gauge when I turned.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I managed to slide new wires into the main wiring harness boot in the engine bay, and run them alongside the main harness into and through the center tunnel. Not real easy, but not impossible either!

--DD

Old 09-23-2003, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to everyone for your tips. Once I read thru your comments, it became a lot clearer - what needs to be done. I should have remembered that I've had to replace the F.I. harness, Ignition harness due to 30+ years of age. Running new gages to OLD wiring can't be 2 smart... Now I just need to deal with the fuse box to connect +. UhhhhOhhhh - my fuse box has seen better daze. Is there a fuse box "upgrade"? Like maybe, hopefully, the new blade style?
Alot 2 ask???
Old 09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
I've heard of it being done, but I haven't seen it. I looked around for a blade-type box to replace the stocker, but I couldn't find one I thought would fit reasonably. The newer fuse boxes are all larger for the same number of circuits.

--DD

Old 09-26-2003, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: