Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Gas Leak.

So, after my little orange bomber has sat for a month, I go out to try to start it. It cranks great, but won't start. So I give it a shot of starting fluid, it starts up --- with a HUGE backfire out the exhaust. But, it started, it ran (okay, it ran rough). I let it go for about 30 minutes, cut it off, and walked away.

The next day, I go out, try to start it. No start. I give it a squirt of starting fluid. No start. More fluid. No start. I'm pumping the hell out of it. I'm holding the pedal down. No start.

Now the battery is dead. And my gas gauge is reading empty.

I check the engine compartment, and there is a lot of gas (probably the entire 1/3 tank I had left) sitting on top of the engine. Pooled up everywhere gas can pool up in there.

I was guessing it wouldn't start and was running rough because an injector went bad. Now, I have no idea where the gas came from. And the cause.

I'm a 914 newbie -- learning as I go. Any advice? Thanks guys!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ray,

I would guess that you have a leak in one of your fuel lines. Do you have FI or carbs? I can't think of anything else that would cause gas to spray all over the engine bay. It was probably running rough due to lack of fuel pressure.

Also, you are very lucky that your car did not catch fire and burn beyond recognition, possibly taking you with it.

Be CAREFUL!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If you have carbs, I once had a small part fall off one 'em, and the gas just poured out of the carb and into the engine compartment like a water fountain.

Ed M.
'74 914 2.?L
Old 09-22-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had a gas leak in the back of my trunks last night. Shouldn't have eaten those beans.

I vote for fuel rail or fuel injector leaking. Even the fuel feed line to the rail could be bad.

Another reason to carry an extinguisher in your car.... even for your daily driver.

Let us know what you conclude.

Regards,

Karl
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry -- I forgot to mention that I have fuel inject.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't forget to check the cold start valve.

To check the rails or injectors.... one idea is to add some more gas and turn on the fuel pump. Remove the coil to distributor line to keep the spark plugs from firing.

Have an extinguisher handy.

Someone can operate the key and someone can check the injectors with a flashlight. (please use a flashlight and not a candle!)
Old 09-22-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If it's been more than 2 years, change all of the fuel hoses. Now--before you try to start the car again. Chances are they're old and cracked and are the source of the leak.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2003, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I second what DD said. Replace all the Fuel lines. Be sure to buy the good stuff, not the stuff available at most discount auto places. Of course, Pelican sells the good fuel lines... cheap insurance.

Also, a good time to replace the injector seals and the vacuum lines. Again, buy the qlty vacuum lines from Pelican
Old 09-23-2003, 01:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
...or go to any boat shop & buy OMC fuel & vacuum hoses in whatever sizes you need. The benefit is a longer burn rating on the hoses.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: