Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

throttle cable installation

i know this has been covered ad naseum.... however, I couldn't find a good answer in the search archives.

I've installed my new Terry Accelerator cable, and have attached it to the pedal cluster. I am at a loss on how to connect it to the dual carb linkage bar...

It seems that when I pull the cable taught to thread it through the linkage arm, it flattens out the path from the center tube to the eng compartment - i have about 8 inches more cable than I need in the engine compartment.

how much should I pull the cable through to get it taught?

tia.

robster
Old 09-22-2003, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I see no one is talking to you...
I've heard that terry cables are too long. Make sure the cable sleve is stopped up against the part of the linkage where the cable attaches to the cross bar. My (stock) cable seemed too long until I realized that the sleeve moved with the cable and was pushed back too far into the center tunnel. If there isn't a sleeve related issue, be aware that putting a tight bend in the cable ( I tied several knots in the one that seemed too long, and it broke there). The replacement process was whern I realized about sleeve effects. Good luck!

My gallery page
Old 09-24-2003, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

well.. I have an arm that extends from the top of the engine sheet metal that I feed the cable through. The plastic sleeve stops right there and I terminate it with a nut to hold it in place.

The actual wire feeds through that arm to the hex bar linkage (which has another arm) - here's a pic by DSPTurtle from an old post. The cable setup is similar to mine, except, of course, my wire extends past the engine compatrment and could reach the trunk!

Old 09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Your Pic shows pretty much how my set up currently looks like - with the exception that I extended and modified the lever on the hexbar about 40 mm and therefore ended up with an even longer pice of metal that holds the outer part of my cable. (the extended lever allows to remove the adjustable stop under accelerator pedal - and you end up with more pedal travel - a good thing IMO)
Generally I do not like the way how my cable is routed in this set up and I will cange it at some point in the future...
So this is the plan... I will flipp the lever on the hex bar so it will point towards the engine (instead of the lid) and I will insert the cable from the back of the engine. This way I will maintain the rotation direction of the hex bar. I hope that inserting the cable from the back will require only one smooth bend (180*) and therefore will cause less friction. A nice side effect will be that the stuff will look a bit nicer and it will be easier to put your head, three hands and a strobe light in the engine compartment to adjust the ign. timing.
In order to go for this setup you will require a longer cable. Can't say how much longer. But yours might be exactely what you need.

Patrick

Last edited by yoh!!!; 09-25-2003 at 09:28 AM..
Old 09-25-2003, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The instructions for the Weber system I have states that you must shorten the stock cable. My set up has a short solid rod which connects to the cable with a set screw. The rod is attached to the shortened cable and it attaches to the lever on the linkage.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: