Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Shift Shaft Seal..Pics

I am trying to change the shift shaft seal and I am having an extremely difficult time changing out the seal. The PP tech article says to use a screwdriver to gently pry the seal out, but I cannot get it out, I can only get pieces of the rubber seal out. I started to gouge the sides so I stopped. I tried a seal puller, screwdriver and anything else I could think of. The new seal is in the pic below the shaft housing. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,
Rod

Old 09-22-2003, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
The OEM original seal has a metal covering and this thing does not like to come out.

First - You need to support the shift console in a vise.

2nd - If it will not just pop out, then you need to take the screw driver and a hammer and hammer the blade into the plastic under the lip and then use the screw driver as a lever. It may not pop out and you may just get a piece of plastic. Move aound about 30 degrees and repeat. Keep doing this until it does pop out. It will. It is a pain in the butt.

Clean the surfaces, maybe using a little Scotch-Brite pad, lightly oil the new seal and install.

James
Old 09-22-2003, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
James:

Thank you, got it out and installed the new seal. Where can I buy the O-ring that goes on the backside of the shift console?

Again thanks.

Rod
Old 09-23-2003, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Go to your FLAPS, they usually have an O-ring box with just about everything. If not, Maybe home depot.

I'm sure Pelican can get you one. I usually use a kit since I have the trannies out and I do all of the seals at once. And a little bit more...

James
Old 09-23-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: