Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Portable Compressed Air

I have been using a 15# 1CO2 cylinder for a while to supply the impact wrench at races and auto-xs and it had one of those neat coiled plastic hoses. A couple of weeks ago while changing tires I hit the hose near the wrench end and it shattered, probably due to the cold temp of the CO2? I have since bought a professional whip type hose and it should last for ever I hope. I would recommend staying away from the coiled plastic hoses.
Old 12-17-1999, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quite possibly,co2 can be very cold. An alternitive could be to use compressed nitrogen. It does not get cold and is cheap to refill. It does not collect moisture so it is very temperature stable. We have used it for many years dragracing powering the airshifters and would consider nothing else
good luck
Old 12-18-1999, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Now thats neat. Hummmm.. Air shifters...I always wondered what made those work. Anybody know a source for those things?
Old 12-18-1999, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Rich,
You could possibly build an air shifter for your 914. It would depend mostly on the shift pattern at the transaxle.I am not sure about the movements required to change gears.
One other thing to consider is your air supply. Most shifters I have built/seen wont work under 100 psi; You would need an on board compressor(belt driven?)and/or an air tank.
Not impossible but would take some work.
Old 12-18-1999, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: