Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying 914-6 in storage, need mechanic in So. Cal.

I'm very close to buying a complete, unmolested 914-6 in California. It's been in storage about 10 years but it's rust free.

I know who to use for paint but am looking for a shop in Southern California that will do a great job bringing the mechanicals back to life and doing things like seals, side shifter conversion, suspension rebuild etc.

Here are some names I'm considering based on my search for a 911 mechanic. I've used Tony and Haydon Bros and was happy with their work on my Carrera but boy are they expensive.

I'm looking for alternatives to get bids from on the mechanical work, in case I can find someone just as good but not as expensive or someone who specializes in 914s. Would appreciate hearing from you guys on these names or any others.

Tony Callas
Haydon Bros.
Dutch Treat
Redline
Otto

For those of you who have had this kind of work done, what am I looking at in terms of cost for the engine reconditioning, seals, suspension rebuild, etc.?

After taking the engine out but before paint I want to have underside, wheelwells and trunk compartments thoroughly cleaned but not steam blasted as that can blast off paint. Would do myself but don't have the garage space.

Any ideas on who to use for that would be great too, hate paying one of the mechanics above to do this kind of easy but time ($$) consuming work.

Hope to hear back from you guys. Thanks.
Pete H.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I am down in Orange County and know of two factory trained 914 Porsche Mechanics down here. One is Ray Stevens Porsche in Costa Mesa and the other is John DeBonis Porsche also in Costa Mesa. Ray Stevens is not that cheap but really knows the 914's and John DeBonis really knows 914's and Porsches in general and is a lot cheaper, less overhead. You might check with them. John may be your best bet for the money. He is really good.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-25-2003, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You could try TRE in North Hollywood.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
OTTO would be my recomondation. Steve
Old 09-25-2003, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I spoke to Ray today and liked what I heard, thanks for the tips. My usual painter wouldn't be able to take the car until... after Jan. 1. Any other great painters in the So. Cal. area that have 914 experience? Ray mentioned a famous upholstery guy in San Diego that he recommends. Has anyone used him?

Pete H.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've used Dutch Treat before. Nice guy, knows his Porsches. I think his name is Robert. Tell him Bee Jay, the guy you sold the red 914 to, said hello.
Bee Jay
Old 09-26-2003, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: