Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on Roling the Fender Lips

I just got a new 914 (did I mention that I won it in a raffle?)

Anyway, I discovered that my old 914 has the fender lips rolled to accomodate wider tires & the new car's fenders are completely stock.

How to you roll the fender lips without screwing it up or chipping any paint. My old 914 has it done perfectly but is was don by the prior owner.

Oh, here's a pic of the new car - 1974 2.0 with 5,000 on a rebuilt engine - for only $25 Yeah!

http://www.wvschools.com/tvhs/tvprint.htm
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-26-2003, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
rolling fenders

many folks have used a wooden base ball bat: hold bat by handle and place it behind tire (toward the top) and have a friend SLOWLY drive vehicle forward.bat will be pushed up and around fender. you control (by the angle you are holding handle) the amount of width of fender and if done slowly with not too an extreme will minimize paint crackage.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you do not need much, start with a broom handle. I have found that a piece of pvc pipe (I use 1-1/2") works better than a baseball bat. Load some weight into the trunk before you do it to compress the car down at the tires to get a better roll thru the whole suspension travel. I start the pipe up as previously described and just put the car in neutral and roll it back and forth keeping the pipe between the tire and body. It also helps to air up the tires so they will not give as much.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There is no chance you can do this with any guarantee of not messing up the paint. (I was surprised to learn there was filler in there when I went at it; needless to say filler is not too elastic.) If you are unwilling to paint, if necessary, then don't do it.

You may do it with no harm, but you can't bank on it
Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You won a 914 in a raffle?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yep! I bought a $25 dollar raffle ticket. I still don't believe it! It looks pretty nice in the pics but I haven't seen it in person yet -

http://www.wvschools.com/tvhs/tvprint.htm
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 09-26-2003, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: