Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Rear Fender Clearance

Hi all,
My '73 914 has empi 8 spokes and 165X70X14" tires. On the drivers side of the car I can squeeze 2 fingers in between the tire & the fender. On the passenger side, only one finger fits in between. Yes, same finger. What's up? I want to mount wider tires but I don't like the look of flares. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Old 09-26-2003, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm sure others will give you their opinions.
The cars all vary from example to example and often from side to side.

Your wheels could be an imperfect (bug) offset and eating some of your clearance room. Most people convert to a 914 porsche wheel in order to gain some room.

There are many options on rolling.. The mythical "base ball bat" technique is one... USUALLY, to get any significant additional clearance you will damage the paint and have to repaint the rear fender... so heavy rolling is often postponed until a planned paint job is occuring...

By using perfect offset wheels you could go to a 205 or theoretically a 225 tire... but by changing to a 914 offset wheel you should be safe with at least a 195 tire.

brant
Old 09-26-2003, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I dont want to burst anyone's bubble about using 225's, but under stock fenders, and with rolling its virtually impossible. I have barely enough clearance on the body side of my tires, and I couldnt fit my 225's back there, It is also a problem in the front as well when turning. But I found that a hammer, a shotbag, and a torch work wonders on a fender , And the end result doesnt look too bad! Acutally it looks really cool!

I have posted some pics, but I'll post some more if you want.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2003, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

225's will fit some cars with 7inch wheels... and very serious rolling.

but the wheels will have to be custom offset/expensive and ordered... and then its not a guarantee.

your cheaper and better off to use andrew's advice of the big hammer and a new paint job.

brant
Old 09-27-2003, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

205s will work with Fuchs. The offset is the issue with other rims.I have 205 60 15s and I have seen 205 50s also without rolling. Get a body shop to roll the lip if you must. Approx $300 for each side
Old 09-28-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Some 914s don't fit 205s on stock Fuchs. It varies somewhat from 914 to 914...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-28-2003, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
Some 914s don't fit 205s on stock Fuchs. It varies somewhat from 914 to 914...

--DD
So you mean the wells may not accept the width? not the rims.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Correct--on some cars they don't fit under stock fenders.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-28-2003, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

tubs

Most all of the 914s we have seen have more clearance on the right side of the chassis. I think the guy who built the chassis gig to build the chassis had too much schnapps that week.

Check out the Porsche Owners Club Track event Videos
Old 09-29-2003, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mine has more clearance on the right. When I put on a set of 195 65 15s on the wheels that came with my car (Amer. Eagle Rivs) the left side needed rolling. When I got a set of original fuchs and put 205 60 15s on I found I would not have had to roll that left well. The offset was key. I've only heard this and maybe someone can verify; The quarter panels were mainly hand formed as opposed to machine formed. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to John Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to John Kelly
Hmmm....that's interesting. When flaring the fenders on Zach's car, I had to go a little wider on the left rear to get the same tire clearance as the right side.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 09-30-2003, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: