Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hey everybody!~ (and brakes)

Haven't had much time lately to drive, or post continuously for 24 hours at a time..

BrakeS!

I noticed a little but of dragging in the rear, and then I noticed I could stop that if I pulled the pedal up with my foot.

My brake pedal has about 2 inches of travel, and they almost lock up. Guess what I have to do in the morning before I go to breakfast..? Anyone?

I like working on the cars, I love the cars, the cars are my life, I can't live without the cars.. I want more cars.. I need more cars..

Please, send cars.

Miles

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 09-27-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Salutations!
You been off carousing, galavanting, schmoozin on the riviera? Nice to see some posts from you dude
So your dragging seems to say "Maybe the e-brake is hanging up", but hmm, your pedal dilemma is saying "Maybe a caliper is sticking and also letting some air bleed out at the same time giving you the decreasing pedal travel and you need to re-build them with fresh seals and bleed the system a few times ." (Your pedal is long winded.)
If you're not leaking fluid, you're getting air in there somewhere, prob at one of the rear calipers?
I dunno, but I had a similar prob with my fronts, and a rebuild fixed it nicely.
I'm sure someone with more experience can confirm either my suggestion or my ignorance.
Cheers
Jeff

Whares mah coffee?!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds to me like it could be either or both ebrake stuck on and a frozen caliper. Mine had both... or rather the ebrake stuck, then the overheating caused a caliper to freeze, then of course i burned a wheel bearing.
03-M3
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/castlesteve/
Old 09-29-2003, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can run, but you can't hide.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm thinking inspect the rear brake hoses.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'm with Sammy. I had a rear caliper "stick" and it turned out the hose had disentegrated on the inside and became a check valve...

Time to buy some stainless steel lines.

James
Old 09-29-2003, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Or new rubber lines. After all, the old ones did last 30 years...

I know more than a few people who have had SS lines fail in just a couple of years. Yes, even the DOT ones. Ed V. went back to rubber because his 2-year-old (or less?) SS lines started weeping ATE Super Blue...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-29-2003, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sounds like it's the pedal cluster bushings. Pulling up on the pedal with your toe would not unplug hose or unstick a caliper. You only have two inches of travel because the binding bushings are holding the pedal part-way down, so in reality you'd have more if it returned to its normal position. Change both of the springs while you're in there (brake and clutch).
Old 09-29-2003, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Back off Carl!

The pedal has full travel, it comes on nearly from the start, and the return is crisp until the last inch or so of travel. At that point, it sticks enough to hold the car on an unevem parking lot grade, lightly pulling out .5 inches releases them *almost* completely.

Stainless lines.

I think it's the ebrake, when they installed the new motor, I have an appt with a lift later. Thanks fellas, all this is being stored in the growing database that is what's left of my brain.

I have worked out some other problems.

Due to some unknown thingy, my ECU had a spinny potentiometer, I fixed that up, and found out it was about 10,000% too rich!!!! goodbye bad idle, goodbye bad noises, goodbye paranoia.

After really paying attention to the help stuff here, and especially Brad Anders excellent Djet stuff, I CAN DO IT!

My cold start thingy is dead.

M

Last edited by M. Hendrix; 09-29-2003 at 09:18 AM..
Old 09-29-2003, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So, What are you doing later?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Toast
So, What are you doing later?

Driving!! Oh yeah!

How you?

M

Old 09-29-2003, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Who's Carl?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Hendrix
Driving!! Oh yeah!

How you?

M
Wishing I could drive!
Glad to see your teener is running.....for the most part.
Have fun! Hope to see you on the Pelican Board a little more.

Toast
Old 09-29-2003, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I hope you are getting better, nice to see you Toast.. I have a couple days of light duty, so...

Carl, he is a midget with a torch... in my bowling ball carrying nightmare..

M

Old 09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Toast
Have fun! Hope to see you on the Pelican Board a little more.

Toast
When you are sitting around contemplating your next move in your plan of world domination, why don't yall'ns call me?

I think the Pappster prolly has my number laying around.

M

Old 09-29-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Engine, brakes, is there nothing you won't complain about?

How you doin'? I have another teener trying to find it's way into my garage. I'm sure to have lots of questions if this deal goes through.

Speaking of teeners, I met a guy tonight with a 914-6 in my neighborhood. Very clean. Pretty cool.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Sorry I have been missing you buddy, try tuesday night.

M

Old 09-29-2003, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Still think you also have an issue near the pedals or master cylinder, perhaps in addition to the other things; mine did the exact same thing when I got it. Pulling up on the pedal should have no effect if everything is right. When the piston in the MC starts to move forward, it covers the two intake ports, creating hydraulic pressure for the brakes. When you release the brakes and the piston returns to 'home', the ports are uncovered and all pressure is gone. If you have already installed bronze bushings or are otherwise certain that the pedal is not hanging up at all, I believe there is also an adjustment on the pushrod that goes between the pedal and the MC; you can shorten that up until the brakes release same as if you had pulled up on the pedal before the adjustment.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hey, I fixed it. Pedal drag= Pedal drag. Look where the problem is!

I took up the floor, and I found dirt, grease, a star wars ticket stub, a Mondale for President flyer, and more dirt.

I also adjusted the ebrakes slightly.

M

Old 09-30-2003, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I liked the rundown:

1. Dirt
2. Dirt
3. A Star Wars ticket stub
4. Dirt
5. Dirt impregnated grease
6. Who is Walter Mondale? (LMAO)
7. A fine dusting of dirt

And d*mn if you didn't take my quote down. Now the pressure's on me to come up with something witty again.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: