Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil temp gauges........

Anybody know the difference in accuracy between the OEM oil temp gauge and sender vs the other, smaller vdo temp gauge(with temp indication marks) and sender. I know that temp sender location is different. Also can you use the sender from one with the gauge of the other. Any advice will help. Thanks!!

Mike
Old 12-21-1999, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Uhhh, any gauge that you use, should use the matching sender....when you match different units, then you run the risk of false readings....the price of an oil gauge with the correct sender is very little compared to the cost of an engine rebuild....
Old 12-21-1999, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ok.........but what about accuracy rating comparing the two types????
Old 12-21-1999, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The oem model has no numbers....the newer, smaller VDO units do...the one that I have, the smaller VDO as you call it has been calibrated/validated via a hand held pyrometer...it works and is accurate. Hope that helps....
Old 12-21-1999, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
That and the fact that Porsche is said to have used three different combos of gauges and senders. If the gauges are mixed up the reading is completly off.
Old 12-21-1999, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hey mikez!!!!

how did you calibrate the gauge to the pyrometer? did you dip the probe into the oil or to the case?? and....did you calibrate the vdo gauge by adding resistance or subtracting resistance to the sender?? how much did you actually have to tweek it from factory setting(how much was it off by, right out of the box?)

Old 12-21-1999, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I should clarify what I am asking........I know the oem sender is actually in the oil, whereas the "smaller" gauge uses a sender that screws into the top of the case with the stock pressure sensor. So.....one really is reading case temp, and not oil temp. There is a difference.

Mike
Old 12-21-1999, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
A pyrometer, is a hand held instrument that resembles a long handled, short barreled gun. It can sense temps in liquids and solids. I took a reading of my oil on the dip stick and compared it to the reading on my gauge. There were within 10 degrees F. Close enough for government work.

I see from your member profile that you are in San Diego. A few of us will be at the San Diego autocross on January 16th, provided it does not rain. Look for a white 914/6 with number 070 or 775....I will have the pyrometer with me and you can check your gauge...
Old 12-22-1999, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Mikey, you have the senders confused. The aftermarket oil TEMP sender screws in to the same place the stock one does. The front-left sump plate.

The aftermarket sender that screws in where the stock oil pressure "idiot light" sender does--is for oil PRESSURE.

The stock and aftermarket senders go in the same locations to measure the same things.

--DD
Old 12-22-1999, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: