Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question How to cap off fuel outlet on tank

Happy Friday from Ra-cha-chester NY!
Well, I got a wave of ambition last night after work, and decided to inspect/replace my wiper motor. The wonderful, always-working-when-I-test-it, but never-working-when-I-need-it wiper motor.
As I was setting the tank aside, I was happily greeted with a punctured fuel line - 30 years old, and being shuffled around made it unhappy.
I almost forgot my question! Since I have carbs, the return line was blocked off by the PO on the rear firewall. So, that whole line is unused. Can I remove the entire assy. as it comes out of the tank, and put some sort of plug in? What I'm trying poorly to describe is the actual threaded portion of the tank, where there's a brass nut/collar holding in a short length of metal fuel line (that's about 4 inches long, where the fabric line is clamped onto). I wanna remove that completely and block it off, so I don't have to worry about that line ever rupturing (sp?) in the center tunnel. It's not being used anyway, and it's relatively unsafe in it's current state. It seems the best way to do this is to plug it right at the tank. Maybe a brass fitting of some sort? And if so what size? (I'll buy it on lunch today).
How about that for a long-winded post? Woohoo! I'm flyin' high on caffeine (hands trembling)........

Cheers
Jeff
Old 10-03-2003, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When I removed my tank the same thing happened, the gas hoses were shot at the tank. I have carbs to, so I replaced the larger diameter line with a new fuel hose to the original plastic (will replace plastic with SS Brake lines this winter) then to the carb. To cap off the smaller fuel Line I hosed clamped a small piece of fuel hose onto the aluminum line out with a tight fitting bolt clamped at the otherend. I looked all over for some kind of theaded cap, but as we dont live in a metric country I found it impossilble.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Is it possible to re-use the cap but add a gasket or plug within the cap to eliminate the need for anything extending beyond the gas tank cap? Others have commented earlier about taking care not to use materials that would eventually crack or degrade due to contact with gasoline.

.....facing the same problem one I get to the point of re-assembly.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, yes! That's what I wanted to say... A threaded cap! So no-go on that, or the gasket/plug deal either, huh? Something made of brass?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I did the new rubber hose and bolt and clamp thing too. Replaced the old lines with steel brake lines, moved the fuel pump to the front trunk.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 10-03-2003, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

DDS, do you have a pic of the placement of the fuel pump to the front?
Old 10-03-2003, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'll take one tomorrow and post it.

Dave
pics at
Old 10-04-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

get a peice of correct sized fuel line and cut a small piece. stick it on the return fitting. get a shoulderd bolt. stick it in the line. use a f.i fuel line clamp and tighten it up. about $. 25. i replaced the feed line from the tank with high presure fuel line (with enough slack so i can lift the tank and pull the line) from the bottom of the tank to the metal line that runs thru the big rubber block, thru the tunnel, out the firewall to the rotary pump. then i did the rest to the webers.

kevin
Old 10-05-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replys
I ended up doing what Kevin and DDS did; the hose/bolt/clamp thing, it seems to work fine for now. I'll find/make something a little more sano over the winter. I used a long enough lentgh of supply line so I can pull the tank and stick it in the trunk without any trouble too. Very nice!
Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
One the 2 parts of this thread:

A) Blocking the return line.

Don't do it. Get your return line back in action and put a pressure regulator on the fuel line. Carbs need regulated pressure like the fuel injection, just at 3 psi, not 30.

B) Fuel pump relocation. I prefer the idea of fuel pump being in the engine compartment. With the fuel pump in the front trunck, the fuel line running through the passenger compartment is now pressurized. 3 PSI for carbs is bad enough, but 28-30 psi fuel running through the passenger compartment? No thanks.

James
Old 10-06-2003, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

james, my rotary came with a reg. as long as it maintains the correct pres why the need for a return line? did 356's have a return line? my pump is located near the stock location, on the outside of the fire wall. my thought is putting in the engine compartment would only compound the fuel getting hot issue. lines with some sort of insulation would be nice in the engine compart ment. after sitting after shut down on a hot day i experience a bit of hard idle until, i presume, til cooler fuel gets in the lines. or maybe just the bowls. a very minor issue.

kevin

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 10-06-2003 at 05:35 AM..
Old 10-06-2003, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
My 914/6 and the 911T, which were carbed, use a return line and an external regulator.

My pump is in the standard location, located just underneath the engine on the firewall, technically not inside the engine compartment. I personally do not like the idea of pressurized fuel lines inside the passenger compartment.

James
Old 10-06-2003, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

When I re-did the engine compartment, I installed a regulator and filter, it's set for 3psi, plus it's chrome and looks cool with the braided lines - someone asked me if I had nitrous when they saw it!? Geez......
The PO moved it to the front trunk, and I replaced it with a holley red I had laying around. BTW, isn't the "red" supposed to only run at 3-5psi max anyway? I thought that, but put the reg. in just in case.
So I should re-connect the return line? What would I connect it to? It was blocked off before, and ran dandy for years. I just figured it would be safer to block it at the tank instead of the engine firewall.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by red-beard
I personally do not like the idea of pressurized fuel lines inside the passenger compartment.
Just about every fuel-injected car ever made has pressurized fuel lines running inside the passenger compartment--or rather, inside whatever passes for their center tunnel.

You trust your fuel lines or you don't. If you don't, you should probably replace them...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

James,
How would you use the return line with a fuel pump for carbs? The original pump had a return connection built right in, my new rotary pump has a inlet from tank and an outlet to carbs no return.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah, ditto on that, what do we need to do? It seems like a simple enough system without it, I don't know how you'd set up the return.
Cheerio!
Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
The pressure regulators available for the carbs have a return port on them.

James
Old 10-06-2003, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Rather than blocking off the return line has anyone considered taking the tank to a radiator shop & having the port welded closed? As a bonus you get a clean tank!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

This is embarrasingly hokey-looking, but here's the pic. I had no end of problems with fuel pumps, so what you see are stock porsche rubber mounts, adapted twice for a total of three pump configurations.
The first setup used the stock clamp and a 911 pump sitting on those mounts. Very tidy, hoses exited from the same end. Pump burned out, still not sure why, we had the return plumbed.
Second set up, big ol' yankee pump from my Lotus spares bin, turned on its side, mounted to that billet aluminum plate you can just see. Filter mounted under car, roughly where stock pump is fitted on pre '75 914s. Didn't work, I think the pump needed to be mounted vertically.
Current arrangement, taking no chances with used bits. Universal import carb pump from FLAPS mounted on same aluminum plate. with filter ahead of pump. Problem is that inlet and outlet are on opposite ends so I had to jury rig that trombone like tube (I have a tidy looking replacement to install). Works great, filter changes will be easy.
I punched the hole in the bulkhead with a greenlee punch, then stuck a 'chase nipple' in the hole to prevent chafe. It clears the tire and the low profile of the pump is also below the 'tire board' or whatever its called.

pics at
Old 10-10-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Only one picture took there, Dave. Do the "upload now" for each picture you select, then you can close the window.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-10-2003, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: