Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 tranny

can anyone give me an idea re: how much HP a 914 transmission is able to handle. say in a race application?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have heard they will handle up to 300HP. I cant tell you for sure but when I do my V-8 conversion, I will not be running a stock transmission.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-05-2003, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

By, "In a race application" do you mean with a race clutch, or just trying to burn out at redlights?

If you mean with a race clutch, on a race track, racing against other people who are power shifting, and side stepping the clutch, not fuggin much.

If you mean burnouts at redlights, I had one do really well with 425bhp for the short time I owned it, terrible feeling setup, undrivable gearing.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 10-05-2003, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i mean in a c sport racer with a 12a rotary maybe 200hp SCCA club racing. i have a hewland gearbox already but i have three 914 trans laying around and may be able to use them in the c sport.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A 200 HP rotary shouldn't put out enough torque to kill a 901-based gearbox. The people I know who have been killing gearboxes fall under a few distinct categories:

1) People who had really old tired transmissions in the first place
2) People who have 2.8L twin-plug race motors putting out over 350 HP
3) People with monster V8s putting out about 60 billion lb-ft of torque
4) People with stock 1.8 motors who put the car in first with the clutch in, redline the motor, then sidestep the clutch. (Works for all motors, actually, not just the "mighty" 1.8!)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2003, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks i have just increased my gearbox supply by two.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ran mine at 250hp - all Ok. Went to 300hp broke the ring gear.

Ken
Old 10-06-2003, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A greater concern should be the torque that the 901 is subjected to. I ran a fairly stock 3.2 (Motronic with raceware rod bolts, headers and a Quaiffe LSD) in auto-x/time trials. Over 5 years, I went through three ring/pinions and a case (bearing journals),
PCA - 36yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 10-07-2003, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
True, torque is the real concern. But a 200 HP Wankel is not going to be a torque-monster. In fact, it probably won't make much more than 170 lb-ft of torque, at a guess. Those things make power through revs, not grunt.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-07-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: