Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

---

----

Last edited by kdfoust; 06-20-2004 at 06:52 PM..
Old 10-05-2003, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The rear is too soft. Get rid of the Progressive springs. The 180's, if they have tighter coils on one end are progressive also. Not much more i can tell you.

My set up is 22mm torsion bars, 22mm sway bar set semi-loose, and 200# rear springs. 15x7 wheels with VRacers. Stays flat. Sometimes, depending on the speed of the corner and how tight it is, a wheel might lift a bit, but not much. pretty hard to eliminate that with out going way stiff on the front bar or more rear spring. Your progressive springs are not 165# all the time. My guess is that on turns where the weight of the car is not causing the springs to compress to the full 165#, is making your car handle like it has soft rear springs, and the front bar is stiff enuff to lif tthe front wheel. Maybe the non progressive 140# would be better...?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey, I resemble that remark
Old 10-05-2003, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

IMO, when you reach a certain level of tire grip, you start waving to the fans. The best cure is stiffer springs at both ends. Stiffening one end without doing the other will lead to over/understeer, depending which end gets stiffened. The front AR bar won't be able to compensate if the F/R spring rates are too far off. For instance, stock t-bars & 200 lb rears will have the back ahead of the front on a regular basis.

I use 21mm t bars & 200 lb rear springs. The front A/R bar is set a bit towards soft. It pushes in the tight stuff (AX tight), but is neutral in the medium speed stuff....oversteers a bit in the sweepers. It'll do for now.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

JP and Chris are right as to keep a corner down you have to push up from the diagonal corner. Of course you could soften the front way up and corner on TWO wheels instead of three, but that can get a little hairy!!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Adding a "stock" rear sway bar stopped my wheel lift.

Set-up: 22mm Front torsion, 22mm Front Sway(set full loose), 180# rear springs.

Had lots of wheel lift before I added a stock rear bar.

Ken
Old 10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If you're not going to spend money, then loosen the front
bar to get the wheel back down. Everybody's right that this
will change your over/understeer. I run 21mm torsion bars,
small weltmeister front bar almost full loose, 180 springs, and
it will not oversteer below about 50mph.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Old 10-06-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Everybody here in No. Cal. is running 22 & 22 up front.

You can get a used stock sway bar with links and mounting brackets(used - cut off - chassis but cleanupable) from Spencer at EASY in Emeryville, CA.

The brackets can be bolted on - no need to weld them - just takes a couple of holes and a 1" hole saw to bolt them on.

Ken
Old 10-06-2003, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by kdfoust
I don't really want to loosen the swaybar any right now - I like the dynamics of car as it is.
If you like the way the car handles now, then don't mess with it. If it picks up a paw and waves at the crowd, who cares?? The driving dynamic is all that counts.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: