Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Pelican Parts Who worked on your 914 this weekend?

Did ya work on your car this weekend? What did you do? Did it screw up? What was the hardest part? Project all done now? So what went undone while you worked on the car? Did your family complain?
I started my two phased "make it shift better" and "add big headlight wire" project. I'm about halfway through both. Got the new firewall bushing in, and put in two 10 guage wires (stereo and headlights). I went in at the speedo cable entrance.. Big grommet type seal that I can squeeze wire in next to. So I got those through up to the footwell. I'm taking the famly to the beach for a few days, and maybe by the time I get back my Brazillian E-code headlights and canadian phillips bulbs will both be here. Still gotta buy somemore relays, and put in the ball cup bushing and tranny lever bushing. That will be next weekends project. Thank god for 914... Otherwise I would get productive things done.

My gallery page
Old 10-05-2003, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Guess I should answer my own questions...
It went pretty well. I had to disconnect the shift lever from the shift bar even though I unbolted the shift lever. Should have left it connnectedand and just lossened the lever, but I couldn't get the lever far enough forward because of the carpet, so I disconnected it. That means the shifter will be in even greater need of adjustment. So far the hardest part has been getting the tapered screw from the shift linkage off the allen wrench tool. It just would not let go. Had to find a bolt that fit and vice grip it, then lots of wigglin... My kids didn't complain too much, and I managed to get all packed for this trip (I think...) So, what 'bout you?

My gallery page
Old 10-05-2003, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I actually did work on mine. I'm trying to set up the rocker arm geometry on my rebuild. Not an easy thing to say the least.

Took the Eggplant out and ripped it up a bit. There is no seal between the engine and the shelf. No wonder the PO said it ran hot after 45 min or driving. No worries. This weekend was the most time spent behind a 914 wheel. What an awesome car. It's really motivated me to finish the 1911. I would've burned up the Eggplant had I drove it more. It was about 150 degrees in the cockpit because it was running so hot and not cooling properly. That would suck. I was stoked though at how tight it shifted. All the bushings had been replaced and I had no problem at all finding all the gears. One more problem though. NO brakes. eek: Did I drive slower? Heck no. I just took the corners faster. :
Old 10-05-2003, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I took off my front wheels and cleaned the wheels wells and discs and then painted everything. Looks pretty good. I painted the calipers red too. They look good behind the polished pedrinis. I need to spend some time wet sanding on the rest of the car though...

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 10-05-2003, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I pryed out the engine, took off the hood and all the wheels, the back and side window, and scavenged any other salvageable items (knobs, handles,trim, ect.).
Then I had Pick-a-Part come pick up the rest.
Good Riddance!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
compared to others, i didn't do alot. i drove up to the club race (in a torrential rain, test of the wipers!). when i came home i noticed an oil leak was a little worse than i noticed before, so i changed the valve cover gasket. i also adjusted the aiming of one of the headlights. did a general look-over of the car after the trip. i did a lot of fanatizing though, like, what would that 650HP twin turbo engine that i saw at the race in a 914 look like in my '74
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 10-06-2003, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey f-folks
There was actually some sun on Saturday morning, so I finished up the little "wiper-motor-turned-into-fuel-line-replacement" project I had going on.
The replacement wiper motor works like the dickens (where did that term come from anyway, and who is this "dickens"?), and I found a nice length of braided stainless fuel line I had left over from when I did the carbs/engine compartment - I ran the line from the tank to the fuel pump (holley red, in the front trunk). It's long, so I can lift the tank out and place it in the trunk neatly. Which I did yesterday just to check for leaks and such. HOWEVER, there was a strong gas smell the whole time I was driving it - I figgered it was just fumes from the bit of gas I spliied earlier. So I cleaned and aired everything when I pulled the tank again, but haven't had time to drive it yet to see if that fixed it. What could be causing the odor, if there aren't any leaks?
I drove the car all day Sunday with a girlfriend - had to leave the windows down a bit or we would've passed out from the fumes! She's good natured and didn't mind, she enjoyed it immensely.
I passed an SUV with 4 guys in it, and one of them stared at my car, open-jawed, the whole time. Cool!
Cheers
Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Puny Bird

I'm installing my JYD (Junk Yard Dog) engine with SDS programable FI.

Making all the brackets, etc. to mount everything is a slow PITA but it's almost done and ready to go in. I hope I can get a bit of seat time before the winter.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Went hunting for an electrical gremlin, unsuccessfully. My clock works with the car off but not on. In On or Acc, no clock, and the oil press gauge is dead, and the oil pressure light is ON. Did not see any disconnected wires. So if anyone has seen this kind of thing please feel free to give suggestions..

But on a positive note my temp gauge works now!
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 10-06-2003, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The week started out with new 110# springs. It progressed to repairing (installing) the pivot on the right side trunk hinge. That was a beast! Then, since I had the welder at home I decided to throw in the rear sway bar. Well... I crawled into bed at 11:47 thinking, "I should'a drove it to see how it handled!" Oh well, at least it's done in time for the last auto cross of the year!
All I can say is WHAT A CAR
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-06-2003, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Didn't need to touch the car, just drove it. But, worked on mocking up the the cam sync for the new ignition. Got the hall effect sensor to work. Fried 2 of them before I got it worked out. Hope to get the big power transistor going this evening. Used up my supply of fuses too.

Dave
Old 10-06-2003, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Lets see...
Thursday night-adjusted the valves.
Saturday-prime painted the body
Sunday-fixed a leaking oil line, worked on the body attachement points.

PAul

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 10-06-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Installed the following yesterday on my car:

new 19 mastercylinder,
steering rack with new turbo tie rods,
Needle Roller Bearings for front A-arms,
new Koni Sport Yellow strut inserts,
new ball joints,
pressed in new studs on my redrilled front hubs (4x100)

Tonight I hope to rebuild my front calipers and get those installed along with brand new front wheel bearings and new rubber brake lines.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
I ripped out the tranny on Sat. and installed a new pilot shaft seal in. Put everything back in Sunday morning and drove the car around without any leaks.
So its back to running good finally!

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Mike Mueller,

how close is the car to running...
It sounds like you have been extremely busy lately...
update us on the motor.

brant
Old 10-06-2003, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

- Pulled the injectors and dropped them off at RC Engineering (bummed that after all the work it took to get it running fairly well, it doesn't at all now). Anxious to get them back.

- Bought some stainless steel sheetmetal screws and installed the headlight bezels that I bought off eBay.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter311 ... What could be causing the odor, if there aren't any leaks?
Leaks you haven't found yet. Or a disconnected charcoal cannister system.

Quote:
Originally posted by bludden
Went hunting for an electrical gremlin, unsuccessfully. My clock works with the car off but not on. In On or Acc, no clock, and the oil press gauge is dead, and the oil pressure light is ON. Did not see any disconnected wires. So if anyone has seen this kind of thing please feel free to give suggestions..
Fuses. #9 has popped. Or was that #8?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 10-06-2003 at 02:15 PM..
Old 10-06-2003, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Started to install new oil pres. & oil temp gages. Pulled up the carpet, located the wire terminals. Grabbed the new VDO gage bracket & started searching for an acceptable place to mount it. I'm still looking...
The angle of the VDO gage brkt. causes the gages to tilt up too far when I tried to fit it under the dash. I didn't like it. Any mounting suggestions???
Thanks, Gary
Old 10-06-2003, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Think it was 9 - looked at it, and it seemed OK but did not meter it.
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 10-06-2003, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I finished painting
http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/paint.html

Paul
Old 10-06-2003, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: