Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wiper position in park

Anudda question
Wipers work fine, however when turning them off, they "park" higher up on the windshield than they cycle during operation. If I re-position them on the shaft, then they swipe over the cowl. Is there another adjustment?
They motor moves quickly though, a vast improvement over the anemic, groaning previous one.
Anyone need a linkage assy?

Ciao ,
Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I believe you have to adjust the arm that attaches to the wiper motor.....simple, take of a 10mm nut, pop off the arm and reposition. Keep in mind you want the motor in the "resting positon" while doing this. That was the good news. the bad news is access to the motor...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 10-06-2003, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hmm, wouldn't that just change the throw of the wiper? Like re-positioning the arm itself? 'Cause it cycles/sweeps real nice, but when I switch them off, they don't stop right away - they keep moving for a second - they don't stop at the "bottom" of the windshield, sorta like a delayed reaction.
I guess I don't mind getting to the motor now, I'm a pro at pulling things apart to get to it
Old 10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There's a switch of some kind (either a microswitch or an arm on a circuit trace or something similar, I don't remember which) that tells the wiper motor stop running. That is on the linkage between the wiper motor and the wiper arms, I think. Uhh... Could it be inside the motor? Rats, my memory is foggy on this!! Anyway, there is an electrical contact that tells the wiper motor "here is where you stop". You should be able to find and adjust it.

Colossal PITA to get to it, wherever in there it is!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2003, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mis understood...however, if they stop in the same place everytime, and just higher on the windshield, then changing the arm location will do the trick. If it is intermittent and constantly changing, then the problem is withthe motor/switch...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 10-06-2003, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hmm... IIRC the switch that Dave is talking about is inside the gear housing of the wiper motor. There are some contacts on the big gearwheel - I somehow can not remember that those are adjustable.
Popping that central nut (SW 10mm) will not help...

Patrick
Old 10-06-2003, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ahh, that's what those contacts are for! I saw them while I had it apart, but just made sure they weren't broken, or otherwise damaged. I just left "well enough" alone. I'll take it apart after I put it in storage and check it again. I plan on touching up the front trunk this winter, that seems like a good time to do it. It's all together and working better than before, so I think I'll enjoy driving it for a few more days till then
Thanks for the enlightenment!
Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: