Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to auh
Homecoming weekend (with p content)

So my 914 is still broken (in the process of getting fixed, needed new axle shaft) so my dad let me borrow his 1970 911T for homecoming night. I must say, it is soooooooooooo much faster than my car and I just love that sound a 911 engine makes. So my group is leaving the dance and for some reason we decide to go to Hooters to eat. Now I'm driving with my date explaining to her how when people see a Porsche they always feel the need to race it.

She is laughing at me like I'm crazy or something when all of the sudden a 2002 trans am pulls up next to me, matches my speed, then just takes off about a hundred feet in front.

Next he slows down a little so I take catch up to him and do the same thing.

This went on back and forth for about 10-15 min till he had to make a right turn and I was still going straight.

My date almost peed in her pants laughing at me and the trans am racing after she didn't believe me about cars wanting to race me in the first place.

I must say it was very amusing to me as well because I had a blast doing it and my dads 70 911 with a 2.2 that pumps out like 110hp was able to keep up with this brand new american muscle car.

I also liked it cause if it were in my 914, I never would have been able to keep up. I NEED A FASTER CAR.

Adam
Old 10-06-2003, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Hey yeah, that's great. Next time, let him drive on and reduce your chances of becoming a statistic. Seriously - I wrecked a car when I was 18 being stupid and I'm lucky to be alive.

Drive smart - don't race idiots who challenge you simply because your car says Porsche on it. If my kid admitted to this behavior, he'd be walking for a while. Driving is a priviledge earned and not taken lightly.

Take for example the recent hockey player...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=565&ncid=1360&e=3&u=/ap/20031006/ap_on_sp_ho_ne/hkn_thrashers_snyder_dies

I'm not trying to be a downer - but seriously - bad things happen to good people.

I heart Boobies
Old 10-06-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
And you definitely do not want your date to pee in your dad's car.
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 10-06-2003, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mikester
I'm not trying to be a downer - but seriously - bad things happen to good people.
I here ya Mikester, I know. My personal note: Watch out for unsafe, swirving, or reckless drivers around you. And Safely get as far away as possible from them. You never know what they may do at any given second. It could change Your life, and you were the one being the safe driver.

Enough said there.

Glad you had such a fun time on Homecomming night Adam! Chick really do dig the sports cars. They don't always 'pee' in the seat either.

Toast

Last edited by Toast; 10-06-2003 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-06-2003, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The sound.... Mmmm, the sweet sound of that six! Nothing matches it, but a Bimmer straight six at full song comes pretty close.

Got a chance to ride in three and drive one 914-6 over the weekend. Gotta get me one o' them!!

BTW, the 2.2 T put out about 130 HP. Only the 2.0 T and original 914-6 put out 110 HP. And they feel faster than that! ... Or is that just the sound???

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-06-2003, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I didn't actually race him, we didn't even go more than 10 over the speed limit
Old 10-06-2003, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I like to race too. Especially on super curved on/off ramps. Nothing takes turns like a 914!
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 10-08-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

ummm, I was in a 911
Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Auh, sounds like you kept it real during your little challenge, way to go. Not all of us would have been able to keep a lid on the urge to go "Fast and Furious", teenager or old fart.

Yeah, a stock 914 can't keep up in a straight line with much, but it will out-corner the hell out of most everything (including, in the right hands, your dad's 911T), especially if you tweak the suspension a little bit. Despite the modest power, your teener is an awesome training vehicle. Use it to learn control-input smoothness, braking, finding/following the line, conservation of momentum (do this at an Autocross or Driver's Ed, not on the street). If you master vehicle control with limited power, you will not only be a safer driver, you'll be unbeatable when you do move up to more power (ie dropping a 3.2 in your teener ).
Old 10-09-2003, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Umm, I know you were in a 911. But after everyone giving you a lecture on the dangers of racing, I thought I would take your side.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 10-11-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: