Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sand Blaster

Got one of the pressurized sand blasters form Harbor Freight. Sure has made cleaning the tough spots easy. We went through 50lb in about 1/2 hr. Bought the first 50lb bag of media at the flaps at 19 dollars. Went today to the local cement supply and they had it in 3 different grades for 5 dollars a 100 lb. This I can live with. Just wanted to pass this on to anyone who may think about buying one. Great Tool.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I take it you got one of the spot blaster guns instead of a blast cabinet? I got one of the blast cabinets a couple years ago and it was crap. It leaked beads all over the place brand new. Now the rubber gloves are disintegrated (turned into black globs) and the seals and hoses all rotted. So far the only real disappointment from HF, I don't know whether to bother repairing it or toss it in the trash.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by 914GT
I take it you got one of the spot blaster guns instead of a blast cabinet? I got one of the blast cabinets a couple years ago and it was crap. It leaked beads all over the place brand new. Now the rubber gloves are disintegrated (turned into black globs) and the seals and hoses all rotted. So far the only real disappointment from HF, I don't know whether to bother repairing it or toss it in the trash.
I agree with your assesment. You can buy new gloves for the thing. I have modified the lid hold downs for a better seal. Bet you don't use a shop vac to neutralize the pressure. Of course it will leak if you don't. Just sacrfice an old vac. It makes it work a lot better.

I have the portable one as well. Some things are just easier to take out into the middle of the yard and blast away.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I bought one from Harbor Freifgt 10 years ago , and all the shut off valves got blasted quickly and no longer worked. Wear a respirator that is rated specifically for sand blasting. Pulverized sand dust is nasty and silicosis kills . Later , Pete
Old 10-08-2003, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A friend has one of those rubber-gloved, leaky-sealed blast cabinets. We used the shop vac technique but found that it pulled too much vacuum (thought the glass was going to suck in). To solve this we drilled a 2" hole (and covered the stock hole) and using PVC plumbing-type connectors screwed on a flange. Some media was still escaping (even though the airflow is inward at this flange - blast velocity was still shooting some media out this opening) so we simply slid on an old motor bike air filter to keep stuff from escaping.

The system works like a charm and the gloves even "inflate" to allow for putting your hands in/out which is nice after a long session and everything's sweaty.

Some 'good' media is lost but is a small price to pay to be able to clearly see what you are blasting...

"That's my 2 cents worth.....and I expect some change"

rbroglie@satx.rr.com
http://home.satx.rr.com/broglie914/
'72 Summer Yellow 914-4
'74 2.0L Djet powerplant
Old 10-13-2003, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I get #2 silica from the local lumber yard. 80# for $4.00

I use blue masking tape to cover most of the lens in my blast hood. When I can't see thru the window, I take a strip of tape off.

Only problem is that I have a beach sand driveway. Good thing its a rock drive...

'70 914-6 2.2 MFI #269
'71 914-4 2.0
'85 911 Carrera
Old 10-14-2003, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: