Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP - Stuff in the oil???

I need a little help.

I have what appers to be aluminum (or maybe bearing material) in the engine oil at the 1st, 2nd & 3rd oil changes. It is not magnetic. When I look at the oil in the drain pan it looks like metalic paint in that the material swrils around.

This is happening in fresh rebuilt motors. I have rebuilt two different 2.0 motors twice, and still have the problem. Both motors are stock with WEB cams and lifters, melling oil pump. They are identical except one has the WEBCAM cam GEAR and the other has an original cam gear.

The first motor had a bad bearing when I tore it down. Rebuilds 2, 3, 4 looked great when they were torn down.

I do not know the source of the "stuff" in the oil.

Has anybody had this problem??

Ken
Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
How many miles on the rebuild?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Can be see at the first oil change at 100 miles.

Because the first motor had a bad bearing, I have not run the other motors long enough to see if it will "wash out" before taking them apart.

Ken
Old 10-09-2003, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
When you rebuilt them, did you set the end play on the flywheel? If not, the stuff you see is metal shavings from the cam gears. I had that happen to me once.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-09-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hep - end play .003-.005, no signs of ware on the thrust side of the bearing.

Ken
Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
During the engine break in period, 1st 1000 miles, you will see a lot of stuff come out as the bearings wear in.

I don't have it handy, but I think you're supposed to change at 10 miles, 100, 500 and 1000.

What have you used as a break in proceedure?

James
Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well thats what I am hoping. After finding the bad bearing in the first motor I had to look in to the others.

Break-in is 20 minutes @ 2500rpm, oil change @ 100 miles. Used various oils in each of the 4 rebuilds.

I will leave this one in there till it clears up or breaks.

Just seems like a lot of very "fine" material in the oil. I do not think the particals are big enough to be traped in the filter.

Ken
Old 10-09-2003, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
You definitely want to change oil regularly during the first 1000 miles. When you say "leave it in" I hope you mean the engine in the car, not the oil in the engine.

You really should change it often, until you stop seeing the metallic sheen.

James
Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yes I mean the motor. The Oil is changed after every Track event and then it will be changed every few hundred miles to see if it clears up.

Ken
Old 10-09-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Did you cut open the oil filter? If not, do it the next oil change and see what it has grabbed. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I had a simmilar problem on my fresh build, but mine was magnetic. It turned out to be from the cylinders. When I took it apart, they were heavily scored from the oil ring down. I think that I had some oil contamination which led to a snowball effect and soon I had metal flake oil in the oil ring on the pistons. This caused them to scrape the cylinder walls.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
During engine break-in, you change the oil and adjust the valves like someone with obsessive-compulsive disorder. It seems like you're doing that every single day! But you have to keep getting those wear particles out of the engine, as well as making sure that the valve clearances stay in spec as the valve train all wears in to each other.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-10-2003, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: