Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smog pump pulley adapter?

Can anyone tell me what goes between the smog pump pulley flange and the fan impeller? Seems to be about a 1/2" gap between the two. I looked in all of my manuals and books and can't find a thing about it.

Thanks in advance!

'73 914
'75 914
Old 10-09-2003, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know about others, but I can't figure out what the heck you are talking about. Can you expand a little on this?

Phil
Old 10-09-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, I don't have my camera handy, but the smog pump pulley assy. mounts to the front of the fan housing via the three threaded bosses surrounding the impeller (cooling fan) opening. The pulley assy. consists of a pulley, shaft, impeller to shaft mounting flange (the part that needs an adapter to mount to the cooling fan), and a tripod mounting bracket that centers the pulley/shaft on the fan. I didn't particularly care for the "dealer's" method of mounting the A/C compressor, making it necessary to pull the engine just to change the belt, so I decided to use a smog pump pulley to run my airconditioning compressor. I'll see if I can post some pics when I get home tonight.

'73 914
'75 914
Old 10-10-2003, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think you may be talking about the flexable coupling, rubber which is bonded to the shaft flange. I think it's about a half inch thick.

Phil
Old 10-10-2003, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have to doubt the smog pump dive shaft/pulley assembly will be strong enough to drive an AC compressor. The smog pump was a small air compressor with probably a small drive power requirement. Phil said it had a rubber isolator in the drive. This was probably to allow some flex in the shaft since it extended from the fan hub to the outside off the fan shroud. If the shaft were rigidly attached it the supporting bearing bracket would have to be in proper alignment, which would require a fancier setup.

Mike
Old 10-10-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I know what you are talking about. I have one of these in great condition. Take a look http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433865308&category=34202&rd=1

It is still for sale, these are kinda expensive because most are broken.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Confused,

I don't believe the 912 smog pump drive system setup is interchangeable with the the 914 setup. I bought one from a used parts supplier only to find out that it was for a 912. I returned it because was dimmensionally incompatable with the 914.

Phil
Old 10-10-2003, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by philinjax
Confused,

I don't believe the 912 smog pump drive system setup is interchangeable with the the 914 setup. I bought one from a used parts supplier only to find out that it was for a 912. I returned it because was dimmensionally incompatable with the 914.

Phil
Phil,

Was the unit that you were referring to from a 912 or 912E donor?

On the 912E the ac drive pulley is simply another pulley added to the factory tripod bracket POS.

You are right there is a rubber "donut" about a 1/2" thick that attaches at the crank.

I grew tired of this unit (shaft) breaking and cracking, it seems that with the added stress of running both the smog pump and the a/c, the longevity is shortened.

I said "f" that, and merely obtained a second "crank" drive pulley/fan unit (large dia one that drives the alternator pulley) took the flange off, had it welded to the existing, and balanced. Now I drive the a/c off this unit and I don have to deal with the factory POS. Luckily, the alignment for the compressor was dead on, the alignment for the few times I drive the smog pump, well...

Oh yeah, around smog time, I just throw on the smog pump and merely change the belt from the York a/c compressor to the smog pump...

My 2 cents...

Bob

Last edited by COLDBASS; 10-10-2003 at 12:50 PM..
Old 10-10-2003, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Dooode, Pictures? I'd love to see this ac compressor setup.

I heart Boobies
Old 10-10-2003, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Bob,

I think you sent me a picture of your engine with the double fan pully. I have it in "my pictures" but too big to load here.

Phil
Old 10-10-2003, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Bob,

I don't know if the unit I got and returned was from a 912 or 912E. I'm very limited in my knowledge of any of the Porsches, except the 914.

Phil
Old 10-10-2003, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Look for pictures of a late (72+) Bus smog pump setup. I don't know when they were used, but I believe they used the same setup that the 914 did.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Phil,

Had to be a 912E which had the T4. The 912 used the old 356 1600 T1-style engine. I don't know what type of emission equipment the 912 may have had in its final years.

By the way, I'm surprised the 912E drove the AC compressor with that tripod drive. Stronger than I thought!

Bob,

What does that second fan pulley do to the compressor speed? That baby must be screaming!

Mike

Last edited by maf 914; 10-11-2003 at 07:45 AM..
Old 10-11-2003, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 1968 912 had a smog pump. Back before the old cars went exempt, I dated a woman who owned one. The pump was very very hard to find, but of course CARB listed it as still being available...

I've no idea how the pump was set up, though. I think it had been removed about ten years before I ever met her...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-11-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I've got a friend with a metal lathe (he's a machinist by trade), and he thinks that he could make an adapter out of aluminum. Everything would have to be concentric to the gnat's ass, but that's what lathes are good for. The pulley bearings are mounted solid in the mounting bracket, so as long as I can keep everything aligned the stresses to the shaft and bearings should be minimized. The one advantage I can see to using the smog pump pulley to run the A/C compressor (Sanden 508) is the pump pulley diameter compared to the compressor pulley diameter. I haven't done the exact measurements yet, but it looks to be about a 2:1 reduction, which should reduce the hp draw of the compressor and still keep the compressor's operating rpm in the correct range (300 rpm-7000rpm). By using another fan pulley welded to the stock cooling fan pulley to run the compressor you'd be increasing the amount of hp required to operate the compressor, and at a cruising speed (hwy) you'd be exceeding the maximum operating rpm of the compressor (depending on which compressor you're using).

'73 914
'75 914
Old 10-12-2003, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Phil and Mikester,

Sorry for the delayed response, long weekend...

I will seach my HD for some pics of the double pulley creation and post later...

Special K and Maf 914,

Ya, I did some calcs way back regarding the small increased pulley dia, increase in compressor speed, etc... I realized that I may be shortening the life of the compressor by having it spin faster/more. The orginal plan was to go with this arrangement until the 27 year old York dies, then upgrade to a rotary vane style compressor (less HP draw etc). I dont run the a/c that often, only on extremely hot days, so its not really in constant use.

Rebuilt/used compressors seem cheap ( http://www.compressor-intl.com/aboutus/index.htm ), so even If I have to replace every other season, no big...
Old 10-13-2003, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

mikester,

Found it...
Old 10-13-2003, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Bob,

You sent me the above pic months ago. I keep it for reference on my supercharger project. Don't ask, I have to finish my wife's car before I can get back on to mine.

Phil
Old 10-13-2003, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Hcarraro Send a message via Yahoo to Hcarraro
912E Shock Absorption Disc Kit

Has anyone seen this kit? It is supposedly is a vibration absorption kit that fits between the 912E pulley and the air conditioner pulley. I can't find anything on the kit. The paper works calls it a "spider mount disc" also absorption disc kit. The part number on the package is 2 PW 441 923 912E.

The kit was not stored properly and there is some surface rust. The discs are a business card thick. I apologize for covering the instructions. I will retake that photograph and post it.

Let me know if you recognize this kit.

Henry

Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Tried to email you about this..please contact me... Bob. Ratech@pacbell.net
Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: