Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cool Play in steering wheel

It is finally getting a little cooler down here in Miami so I took the six out on Sunday to blow the cob webs out of the Webers.

When I was holding on to the steering wheel I noticed that I could wiggle it like it was loose in the steering column.

Seems I remember seeing something on the BB about upper steering shaft shims or something like that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Barry

2005 Volvo V70R
2003 Volvo S-60 turbo [high maintenance daughter's car]
1974 Triumph TR6
3 cats, 1 dog and 1 kayak
Old 10-09-2003, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If it's anything like a 911 steering column there is a plastic bushing that disintigrates after many years. the fix is a $15 metal bushing that simply pushes in where the platic one is. Took me 10 minutes to do on the 911. Call pelican and see if they have one for the 914, prolly the same part.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I found the play in my wheel was located in the universals just under the dash. Work yourself down & under so you can see both U joints (top & bottom) the bottom one being down by the throttle. Hold the shaft between the two U joints and turn the wheel side to side to see if it's the top one or the bottom one. With mine, it was the top and all I had to do was weenie a wrench & socket in there and tighten it up. Fixed it good and hasn't come loose since.
Good luck for an easy fix.

bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-09-2003, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

You can do this 2 ways. Use the bushing or take the column apart and install a new metal bearing. Pelican has both, IIRC.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's not likely that the steering shaft bearing would fail. Usually, the guide bushing, part no. 111 953 535 D, will grow a little weak, allowing the slop. I think new guide bushings can be had, Perhaps at PP. It's easy to replace.

Phil
Old 10-09-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you replace the upper bushing, try to get the metal one as it will fit and last longer than the plastic one.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just re-read
what Barry said...
steering column not wheel! (DUH)
.......forget about what I said (em-bare-assed)
.............. b
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-09-2003, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had a similar problem with a little bit of steering wheel play in the up and down direction only. Upon removal of the steering wheel hub, I noticed that I already had the corrugated metal bushing in there (which came standard from the factory with some model years). Further investigation revealed that the play was due to wear in the bearing recess in the steering column housing. The recess has vertical ribs that constitute the interference fit for the bearing. It looks like the ribs can diminish in height due to wear, which allows the bearing to move around accordingly. I have a used column housing waiting to be swapped in at the next opportunity.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Guys:

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm going to check the upper bushing first, since that is the easiest one for me to see.

Barry
2005 Volvo V70R
2003 Volvo S-60 turbo [high maintenance daughter's car]
1974 Triumph TR6
3 cats, 1 dog and 1 kayak
Old 10-10-2003, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: